Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Want to pull full Workfront project/request URL into custom form field

Level 2

Hello,

We're prepping to migrate to another existing instance of Workfront. We will be moving existing projects and requests over, along with their data. As part of that, I'm trying to find an easy way to be able to reference the original project or request in its original instance. 

My goal would be that if we have Project X with URL xyz.workfront.com/projectxID, the field would pull in that exactly: "xyz.workfront.com/projectID" - that way when someone is in the new instance and they go to this field, they'd be able to quickly click "xyz.workfront.com/projectID" and go to the original project in the old instance (old instance will be kept open for archival purposes). 

1) does this make sense? and 2) does anyone have any ideas on how we could pull this information? Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sure. In the calculated field, it would be:

CONCAT("[your workfront instance].my.workfront.com/project/",{ID})

Replace the [your workfront instance] with whatever your Workfront instance is.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Do you have access to Fusion or some other automated tool? If so, it could do this for you. You could add a custom field to the projects, and then with Fusion or your tool of choice, have it iterate thru your projects and build the string {old workfront instance}.my.workfront.com/projects/{project ID in old workfront instance}, then when you migrate over, just copy that field as part of your overall migration.

Another option would be to use a calculated field in the old instance that concatenates together the link (same as above), then when you migrate over populate the calculated value into a text field in the new instance.

Alternatively, you could have your migration tool build out the link as well, and populate it in your new project somewhere, and not add anything to your existing project.

Level 2

Thanks, Chris! I appreciate the suggestions. Because I'm not super familiar with the second option, off the top of your head to you know of a resource I could look at to build the CONCAT calculation? I realize that's likely a stretch, so totally fine if not!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sure. In the calculated field, it would be:

CONCAT("[your workfront instance].my.workfront.com/project/",{ID})

Replace the [your workfront instance] with whatever your Workfront instance is.