Expand my Community achievements bar.

Vacation time

Level 4
Heads up, me and Dustin worked through something similar last month. Here's the Community thread for the exact text mode to pull a column into your view that adds up the PTO time used in days. It will also automatically not include any time already in the schedule as a Holiday. For example, if I mark my time off as Nov 25-30. The report will say 2 days instead of 4, because my company is closed on Nov 26 & 27th. https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=e20c91... Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

15 Replies

Level 10
Yes - there was an earlier thread on this in the forum. Bottom line, its ugly. The reason its ugly is that the PTO / Vacation time is stored in a list and the list is not denormalized into a reporting object. That means all you can do is dump the list of dates by person. If you can’t find the earlier thread, let me know, I’ll send you a link or something. Eric

Level 9
Phil, Not sure if the attached file will help. Narayan sent me a list of text expressions that he's created. I noticed this one of the expressions had to do with Vacation time and thought it might apply to your situation. (I'm working on getting these uploaded into a "https://communitybeta.workfront.com/p/do/si/topic=82">filebase . If it doesn't apply, please disregard it. In Reply to Phil Stickland:
Hi Hive-mind, Does anyone have any suggestions how to pull individual Time Off entries into a report showing all Users' vacation for a coming week, or month...? Thanks, Phil
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at: natebagley@workfront.com

Level 1
Hello, I was able to use the text in the attachment to add a column that displays the users PTO. However, I am not sure how to change the filter on the report on only inclue reservedTimes with a StartDate > today. Any chance you have a filter for this already? Otherwise, there are too many dates listed for this to be useful. Thanks!

Level 10
Hi Tori, This one filters it to only show future PTO entries, but unfortunately it leaves all the gaps for past PTO which makes it pretty ugly. Really hoping Workfront put some focus into the whole topic of PTO management and reporting, as is is very lacking at present. listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists name=Reserved Times Upcoming (filtered) stretch=0 textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({startDate}>=$$TODAY,CONCAT({startDate}," - ",{endDate})) valueformat=HTML width=150

Level 1
Thank you! In Reply to David Cornwell:
Hi Tori, This one filters it to only show future PTO entries, but unfortunately it leaves all the gaps for past PTO which makes it pretty ugly. Really hoping Workfront put some focus into the whole topic of PTO management and reporting, as is is very lacking at present. listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists name=Reserved Times Upcoming (filtered) stretch=0 textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({startDate}>=$$TODAY,CONCAT({startDate}," - ",{endDate})) valueformat=HTML width=150

Level 3
In case anyone was interested. I have created a valueexpression that will give you the hours for the time off for users. valueformat=HTML listdelimiter= textmode=true valueexpression=IF({endDate}<$$TODAYe+1w,"",DIV(WORKMINUTESDIFF({endDate},{startDate}),60)) type=iterate listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists displayname=Vacation Hours If you take a solid week off, this process will look at the user's schedule and not count days that are marked as off on the user's schedule. For example on our schedule, Memorial day is a day off for all. I marked the entire week off for vacation. This calculation returned back 32 hours instead of 40. Hope this helps. Now, I would like to get the schedule days off for this report. Haven't figured this out yet.

Level 2
Hello all I hope it is ok to reply to this old thread, but I don't see that the original problem is solved: I also would like to have some kind of calendar where I can see who will be on vacation in the future. What we have created (partially based on the suggestions here) is a list of team members and the associated times off. (On a side note: The gaps for past PTO we remove by inserting paragraphs (not line breaks) displayname=Upcoming Time Off listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(reservedTimes).lists name=Upcoming Time Off stretch=100 textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=IF({startDate}>$$TODAY,CONCAT({startDate}," - ",{endDate}),'') valueformat=HTML width=150 ) This, however, has two drawbacks: The most important one: The PTOs are not sorted according to increasing date but apparently random. We get lists like 08/05/18 - 20/05/18 30/04/18 - 30/04/18 20/07/18 - 20/07/18 24/12/18 - 06/01/19 21/12/18 - 21/12/18 02/04/18 - 02/04/18 21/05/18 - 21/05/18 22/12/18 - 23/12/18 which makes it very hard to find the date I am looking for. Secondly: The report is not a calendar, but a list of staff members, with the associated PTO lists. It is not grouping in the technical sense of a Workfront report, but effectively that is what it is: The report is grouped by user, where I would like to have it sorted (or grouped) by dates. Any ideas how I could achieve this? Roland Hofmann Atlas Copco Synatec (DGB)

Level 4
I'm jumping in too on the old thread cause I just got this request about showing a calendar view of people's PTO. Has anyone tried to use the API to pull the data out of Workfront and then have it display the way you wanted? Just curious before I started to dive into it to see what's possible. Thanks! Scott Sax Loyola University Maryland

Level 4
Yes, it's totally possible. I made a video on our website about the PTO solution we use. Requests are submitted to a PTO request queue and then pushed to a google calendar and into the Workfront time off calendar via Fusion. I choose to do it that way to allow for approvals and because the time-off calendar is not the most transparent to users. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com Helpful? Buy me a coffee: https://www.patreon.com/mlayten - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
PTO was also discussed on this thread. "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=d78e618e-d873-43f4-8697-4931e03f5b17&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer#bmd78e618e-d873-43f4-8697-4931e03f5b17">PTO The main thing here is that you would have to shift your process from users entering PTO on their user PTO calendar to entering PTO into a request queue. Once you have that, it can then be mapped into WF's calendar. On the calendar, you can identify the enteredBy, and plannedstart and plannedCompletion dates. Some drawbacks we found is that we opened up the Assign to field so the user assigns themselves into the request which they found odd. Once they've assigned themselves, this also turns up on their tasks list. Sometimes they feel like clicking Work On it and Done to get it off their plate before the PTO occurs. The calendar takes the actual start and completion date and displays that instead of planned start and completion date so the calendar would be inaccurate. We've removed the cons by doing some API calls and force actual start and completion dates. One of the other pros to this method, you can apply an approval process for PTO. Polly Co

Level 2
Hi Lucas I am trying to run a "future vacation" report for all team members in WF. Basically trying to see who has time off March and April. Do you know if I need to run an hours report and if so, which filters should I select. I am stumped. Risa Wilson CHOA

Level 7
Hi Risa, not sure if you are aware of the 'time off' calendar feature or not, but you might find this support article and video helpful: Create time off calendars and reports Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 2
You are a lifesaver...this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you!

Community Advisor
Heads up, me and Dustin worked through something similar last month. Here's the Community thread for the exact text mode to pull a column into your view that adds up the PTO time used in days. It will also automatically not include any time already in the schedule as a Holiday. For example, if I mark my time off as Nov 25-30. The report will say 2 days instead of 4, because my company is closed on Nov 26 & 27th. https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=e20c91... Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.