Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Using Workfront for Marketing Editorial/Content Calendar

Level 4

Has anyone tried this?  Can you show examples/screenshots?  Monday.com seems to do this well, but I'm not sure if Workfront has the capability.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Agree with Kurt, the calendars need an overhaul, but I created our Marketing Calendar and use the Gantt view. It's not great, but it's functional. Since you can't add programs (which we use for campaigns) to a calendar I created a project for each functional area, then a task for each campaign we planned for that area. This is only for a high level view of the year - I wouldn't want to do it for hundreds of campaigns. If Workfront adds the ability to add programs (and hopefully the separate campaign object that they were working on) to a calendar, then we could use our live projects and not have to create separate dummy projects for our Marketing Calendar.

Sheri_Whitten_4-1681734557551.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi @Justin_Charles,

I invite you to consider our Editorial Calendar solution, which is one of several among the calendaring portion of our catalog.

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

Justin, the calendar side of Workfront is dated but is getting an overhaul that may provide better functionality and features you're looking for, however, its likely to be closer to the end of the year before we see some of those updates.

Level 8

We have some folks using the calendar report for editorial planning, yes. The key in our calendars is a milestone path, which becomes infinitely smoother with a dedicated project template.

Calendar 1: Internal news posts

• We plot the task associated with the Publish milestone.
  • Group (that is, color code) by portfolio.

Calendar 2: Customer webinars

• We plot two tasks: the rehearsal webinar and the live webinar.
  • Groups for rehearsals, live webinars, and tentative webinars (project status = Not started).

At one point we had a calendar showing active marketing communications projects by portfolio, but the Gantt view accomplishes a more nuanced view, if you ask me.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Agree with Kurt, the calendars need an overhaul, but I created our Marketing Calendar and use the Gantt view. It's not great, but it's functional. Since you can't add programs (which we use for campaigns) to a calendar I created a project for each functional area, then a task for each campaign we planned for that area. This is only for a high level view of the year - I wouldn't want to do it for hundreds of campaigns. If Workfront adds the ability to add programs (and hopefully the separate campaign object that they were working on) to a calendar, then we could use our live projects and not have to create separate dummy projects for our Marketing Calendar.

Sheri_Whitten_4-1681734557551.png

Hi @Sheri_Whitten,

To your "since you can't add programs" to calendars comment, I invite you (and others who might like to do so) to check out this MarCom Gantt post as an alternative.

Regards,
Doug

Level 2

Hi Sheri, i wanted to ask a follow-up to the solution you mentioned above. Our use case is to show all planned activities throughout the year on a calendar, showing when the activations are supposed to start and end, not the actual duration of the project with prep work and post event reporting. I.e. if an event is scheduled to happen from March 8th - March 10th, that would be the period for which we would see a project on the calendar. 

My thought was to create two tasks into each one of our projects saying i.e. 'Day 1 of event' and 'Last Day of the event', and have only those two tasks show on the calendar for every project. I am very new into Workfront administration, so I wonder if your approach is better to follow, or if you can think of any suggestions to tackle what I am sharing. 

Thank you