Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Undo "Work on It" To Move Task back to non-working

Level 2
Hi All, I work from my task view on the HOME section of Workfront (not Legacy My Work...I don't have access to it). I accidentally clicked on "Work On It" on one of my tasks when it wasn't ready, and I don't want it showing up in my tasks until it is ready. How do I reverse/undo this option? I do not want to "remove" the task, just put it back in non-"working on" activity. Jen Bobo
7 Replies

Level 7
On the task on the left hand pane, click on the three dots, and you will see "Convert to work request", which will move the task back to a work request. Or, on the right hand pane for the task, in the top right hand corner, you can click on the three dots, and you will see the "Convert to work request" there as well. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 2
Hi Terry, thanks for the response. Does that change anything about task if I do that? Take it out of my name or make it its own project/request? Or does it just literally undo the work on it, and that's it? Jen Bobo

Level 7
It does not change anything about the task (does not remove your name, etc.), it just moves it back to your work requests list. When the task is officially ready to start, it will pop up back again on your list. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Mmmm...Terry, a finer point, but one I'm uncertain about, so... Do you know if the act of saying "Work On It" (still) sets the Commit Date on the Task, and (more importantly) whether clicking Convert To Work Request is then sufficient to clear that Commit Date (vs having to deassign-reassign the user(s) again)? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 2
Thanks Terry! This did work and didn't change anything that I needed to be concerned with. Jen Bobo

Level 7
Good question, Doug. I never had an issue with the date when sending a task back to work requests but did some testing just to be doubly sure… I clicked on "Work on It" for one of my Tasks "not ready" to start that has a planned completion date of September 12. It showed in my Working On list, as being due on September 12 whether I sorted by Planned Completion date or Commit date. I sent it back to Work Requests, and it now shows as 'not ready' to start again with the September 12 date. Next, I clicked on "Work on It" for the same task, but then changed my Commit Date on it to September 9. It showed in my Working On list, as being due on September 12 (original planned completion date), when I sorted by Planned Completion date, and as being due on September 9, when I sorted by Commit date. I then sent it back to Work Requests, and it shows as 'not ready' to start again with the September 12 date. So, it removed the previous 'commit date' (Sept 9) and kept the original planned completion date when moving it back to work requests -- it did not materially change anything when sending it back, essentially it set it back to its previous 'not ready' parameters. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Excellent -- thanks for confirming, Terry! Accordingly, I've upgraded my assumption to now be that upon reverting back to Work Request, the Commit Dates will be automatically and properly cleared. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore