Expand my Community achievements bar.

Type Ahead - Connecting disparate projects together

Level 3

Hello - we have a need to connect disparate tasks/projects together with another project. The new Type Ahead custom field with the Project object seems like it could solve our need. However, having issues with reporting the data. For example:

- Task A on Project A is associated with Project C (via the Type Ahead Project object custom field - this works)

- Task B on Project B is associated with Project C (via the Type Ahead Project object custom field - this works)

- I am having trouble displaying a dashboard on Project C that shows Task A from Project A and Task B from Project B

I've attached a photo with a sample of what the report looks like when I don't have it attached in a dashboard (redacted for business need). When I open in the dashboard on the project, no data appears. Only filter I have on the report is:

DE:Projects:Test Type Ahead - Project:ID_Mod=notblank

Appreciate any insight - thank you!!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Do the various projects just need to associate with each other? Or should the tasks on Projects A & B complete before corresponding task(s) on Project C start?

If the tasks on Projects A & B should complete before the task(s) on Project C can start, could you use a cross-project predecessor instead? https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-Cross-Project-Predecessors-638211475

Then in the predecessor column on your task list, the predecessor will provide a link to the other projects if needed.

Level 3

Thank you Heather.

We've always had an issue with cross-project predecessors working correctly so I didn't go that route initially.

If I designate a cross-project predecessor for Project C on Task A of Project A, can I output a report/dashboard on Project C to show me all associated tasks on different projects?

Community Advisor

From your first note, it sounds like you'd want to put the cross-project predecessor on a task on Project C - you want to put it on whatever task needs to wait until something else is done.

But yes, you should be able to create a report to pull that info.

I also played a bit with creating another View on my task list to add a new column, called successor, so project managers could see which task was waiting for this task to finish. My successor column used this text mode:

listdelimiter=<div>

listmethod=nested(successors).lists

name=Successors

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=IF({predecessor}.{project}.{referenceNumber}={successor}.{project}.{referenceNumber},{successor}.{taskNumber},CONCAT({successor}.{project}.{DE:Year},"-",{successor}.{project}.{DE:Campaign Number},"-",{successor}.{project}.{DE:Project Number},":",{successor}.{taskNumber}))

valueformat=HTML

My IF statement basically says: If the predecessor and successor are in the same project (the reference number matches), then give me just the task number, if they're NOT in the same project, then concatenate all the custom fields that our team uses to reference a project (year, campaign number, and project number) AND the task number from that other project.

Level 10

Gorgeous tip Heather!

Looking at the API, there's also an "isCP" (Is Cross Predecessor) attribute on the successor object, so rather than comparing referenceNumbers (although that's perfectly fine, too, and perhaps more understandable), I expect you'd get the same results using this approach (noting that I've "flipped" your IF's true/false logic):

valueexpression=IF({successor}.{isCP},CONCAT({successor}.{project}.{DE:Year},"-",{successor}.{project}.{DE:Campaign Number},"-",{successor}.{project}.{DE:Project Number},":",{successor}.{taskNumber}),{successor}.{taskNumber})

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

I think the issue you are going to run into when this is a dashboard in a project, is that it is going to automatically apply the filter task:projectID=[Project you are on's ID] which doesn't help you in this case.

Right now, the only thing coming into my head is a report with a prompt for the Typeahead Project Name (or ID) equals and do it that way. I don't think it can be automatic. I haven't heard of someone being able to STOP the task:projectID=[Project you are on's ID] from happening.