Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Trying to roll up the value of a child task to appear in the Parent Task

Level 1

Hi, I have a custom form attached to tasks within a parent task. This form contains a field which states actual time spent. When I have this information in the child task the numbers don't role up to the parent task. I have created a view in order to see the "Actual Hours" field within the custom form on the project but it will not roll up the total of all actual hours on the child tasks to the Parent Task. Has anyone got an guidance or experienced this before. Any information would be massively appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, wondering what is prompting the need to have a custom form field for filling in time spent instead of the users logging time in the native WF methods?

If you add 'actual hours' to a project's task view, it'll pull logged hours for each task, which automatically sums with each parent task to easily see how many hrs were logged with each parent task (summation of all its child tasks' logged hours). I feel like that's your best bet...

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 6

Hi - are you open to using Fusion?

Without Fusion, we've run into similar scenarios where any formula we'd write doesn't provide an "always" accurate result because formula fields only recalculate when the item they are on updates - meaning the parent task would have to update with each child task update to get the field corrected.

If you're open to Fusion, I'm happy to share an example of how we've done something similar.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there, wondering what is prompting the need to have a custom form field for filling in time spent instead of the users logging time in the native WF methods?

If you add 'actual hours' to a project's task view, it'll pull logged hours for each task, which automatically sums with each parent task to easily see how many hrs were logged with each parent task (summation of all its child tasks' logged hours). I feel like that's your best bet...

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )