Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Tips for tracking changes in project

Level 1
Hello- I'm looking for a good way to track changes that happen during the course of a project. We'd like a way for team members to submit change requests, then have a report or log to track any changes that were submitted and their status. Has anyone done something similar to this? If so, how did you accomplish it? Thanks! Harmony
4 Replies

Level 10

0690z000007ZiU7AAK.jpgWe use a Request Queue e.g for any changes that has been made in our system - WF live environment. We use Request Type - Workfront Live Change Log. We log change that has been made with status closed.

Level 10
Hi Harmony, We use the issues feature in a project to capture change requests. If you use a custom form (not sure what information you need for a change request), you can easily do an Issue report with a filter that says Category ID=[Name of Custom Form]. Then you can see all the change requests across your instance if you want to see how often projects change. We do the same thing with bug tracking, studio requests, etc. We've actually built a template that doesn't have any tasks in it but configures the Queue Setup so that we can build a request queue inside of the various projects. This has been great because it gives the assignees the ability to get access to all the project's info, documents, updates, etc.

Level 4
In addition to the Issue Type of Change Request the others have mentioned, we also have a step in our Workflow that the Change gets assigned back to the PMO Director for the last step and they go create a new Baseline and make it the default. We have a lot of metrics that track Budgeted vs. Baseline vs. Actual. If the change on the project was material for either Cost, Effort, or Duration, having the new Baseline is important so the project is not "dinged" for having too large a variance between Baseline and Actual. In theory you can run reports against various baselines but we haven't gone that far yet. Also, you can baseline throughout your project life cycle and compare (take one at Kick-off, one once the planning phase is complete, one for every CR or re-forecast, etc.) which we do but again aren't using those metrics yet.

Level 5
Hi Anthony- and everyone. I work in creative services. So most of work goes through many rounds (i.e- partner edits). Is that what you constitute as a "change". Or is a change- i.e- a change in scope? Just curious. Because I would also like a way to report out on the rounds of changes we go through on a creative project. tks Karen