Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Time prompted Active project report?

Level 2
Hi everyone, Posting on the community board was so helpful in the past so I figured the hivemind might have this answer for me too. I need to create a report that has a date prompt (ex. 1/1/2015 - 1/31/2015) that then pulls all the projects that were active during that time period. Does anyone have something like this? Or have an idea of how I might be able to create it? Thanks!!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 8
Workfront doesn't have a history as such - I can't run a report now to see what projects looked like last month. Depending on how up-to-date your practices are, you could list reports with (a status of 'current' (or whatever you use) AND no completion date) OR (a completion date between the given date range). For us, most exec's aren't interested in the completion date but more the go-live date. We've ended up adding that as a custom field of the project, and put that on a report that PM's need to update every week.

Level 7
One option would be to create prompts on a project report for the Actual Start Date and Actual Completion Date. If you wanted to find all projects that should have been active between July 1, 2015 and August 31, 2015, the user would select for Actual Start Date to be less than August 31, 2015, and the Actual End Date to be after July 1, 2015. Of course, this means that your dates on your projects need to be accurate, and it doesn't say specifically if those projects were in a status of Current, but that would be hard anyway - if a project was set to current for a day within that range, but status of "idea" or "dead" the rest of the time, I'd question whether you'd want to see that project or not.

Level 10
Hi: I think you are asking for all projects that had not completed by a specific stop date (let’s arbitrarily pick 01DEC2015 for this discussion). That means the project was in a non-completed status as of that stop date. If the Actual Completion Date is greater than the desired stop date, that means the project was active and had not moved to Complete status as of the stop date. Therefore, if you create a project report and use this filter: [cid:image001.jpg@01D1B26F.159252C0] That should show you all the projects that had not closed as of that date. Now, the other part of your question relates to prompting the user for that stop date. I must admit, I don’t know how to prompt the user for a date, and then use a filter that compares that prompted value to an attribute. I don’t know how to do that comparison. I’m hoping someone else knows, I’m looking forward to knowing how to do that. I don’t know what the value of the start date is, however. You want to know active projects in that timeframe. The assumption is that if the project is not closed by the stop date, it was open before the stop date. Maybe I don’t understand what you want to accomplish with the start date. Do you want to know projects that started after the start date and were open as of the stop date? Thanks! Eric

Level 7
It seems she wants to know what projects were active during a RANGE of time. That's why I suggest you prompt on Actual start and completion dates. The Completion date would have to be GREATER than the START date of the range you're looking for (so you don't pick up projects that were completed before the start of your range), AND the Actual Start Date should be LESS than the End Date of the range.

Level 2
My suggestion is similar if you want only projects that have actually started: “Project: Actual Start Date” >= $$TODAYby OR “Project: Projected Completion Date” >= $$TODAYby AND “Project:Actual Start Date” NOT null We have a “Projects - Current Year” filter but it includes project that haven’t started yet and excludes specific statuses (like Requests) that aren’t “approved” projects. Tim Golden Enterprise Arch & IT Governance Manager McGuireWoods LLP Gateway Plaza 800 East Canal Street Richmond, VA 23219-3916 T: +1 804.775.1417 M: +1 804.502.5428 F: +1 804.225.5406 tgolden@mcguirewoods.com< VCard< ">http://vcards.mcguirewoods.com/E24F1961AFB2F3A092B9AF2CE5A6C2A7.vcf> | www.mcguirewoods.com< ">http://www.mcguirewoods.com> Visit our blog: Password Protected http://www.passwordprotectedlaw.com On May 20, 2016, at 8:30 AM, Greg Beck wrote: It seems she wants to know what projects were active during a RANGE of time. That's why I suggest you prompt on Actual start and completion dates. The Completion date would have to be GREATER than the START date of the range you're looking for (so you don't pick up projects that were completed before the start of your range), AND the Actual Start Date should be LESS than the End Date of the range. -----End Original Message----- ________________________________ This e-mail from McGuireWoods may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise by return e-mail and delete immediately without reading or forwarding to others.

Level 2
Thanks for all the responses. to be a bit clearer this is a report I'd like for internal auditing and operational and exec level review/presentation. ex. In Q1 we ran x number of projects, in January 2015 we were working on x number of those projects. and ultimately this would allow me to do deeper analysis like "of the x number of projects that ran through 2015 50% of these began in Q2 and ran an average of x number of months" I anticipated I would need to look at completion and start dates but I was looking at them "between" certain dates "not less than/ greater than".. so thank you I think thatis the missing piece I was looking for!! Any other tips are very welcome too

Level 10
Another thought (once you figure out the exact parameters you want) is to build custom prompts for your report. It does make it a little more rigid as you have have to set the time frames but my users have really liked it. Here is one that people want a lot, what projects were even planned for a specific year. (So not quite the same parameters has yours). I have a custom prompt that has the below and tI just created ones for 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. In January then, I just change the default value to the new year. plannedCompletionDate=01/01/2016&plannedCompletionDate_Range=12/31/2016&OR:1:plannedStartDate=01/01/2016&OR:1:plannedStartDate_Range=12/31/2016

Level 2
Are filters are similar but instead of hard dates we use $$TODAYby & $$TODAYey, $$TODAYby+1y & $$TODAYey+1y, etc. Tim Golden T: +1 804.775.1417

Level 8
Just another thought on this. IFF you're using timesheeting, you could do an hours report that only has project information columns and a filter of entry date on the hours - that is, an active project is any project that had hours logged to it during the date range you specify. By default, you're going to get multiple entries per project (one entry for each time a person logged hours) but you can group / matrix that away (or export to Excel and pivot it away).