Expand my Community achievements bar.

Time on Tasks

Level 3
So we are having a lot of issues with times on tasks that are effecting out reporting and home views. When the time is automatically set with a task it is very manual to go in and change the time to be later in the day. Right now we don't use the time feature on the tasks, I am sure we will in the future. But does anyone have a best practice that they use for the times on tasks? It is very disruptive for our workday when please are triggered that a task is late but it really isn't. Thank you! Emily Byrne The Starr Conspiracy
5 Replies

Level 7
Not sure if this is the same thing that you might be looking for, but this Community topic thread may be helpful: "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=151&MessageKey=15707262-0518-4c8d-bdf5-c7459b02bbee&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fdiscussions%2fcommunity-home%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3daaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567%26tab%3ddigestviewer">Time Value on Planned Completion Date Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 7
Hi Emily, Are you referring to a task's planned start time at say 10am and having a planned completion time of say 8am the next day? There are a few things that affect this: Schedule from - Start/Completion date.. Start date, if your project starts at 10am, that would be the source of the 10am task time. If it's set to completion date, it's reversed. If it's set to complete at 8am, well, there you go. Next is the actual schedule itself. If your default schedule, or whatever schedule is on the project, and it's say 8am-5pm with a 1 hour 'lunch' break, your tasks would be affected as well, assuming they have no users assigned to the tasks. Also, depending on your project preferences in Setup, if you have multiple users assigned, the task dates/times could be based off the primary assignee or the project schedule. The next big thing that could affect this is the typical hours per day, also found in Project Preferences in Setup. If it's set to say 6 hours a day, your times are going to be way off if your schedule is set to 8 hours per day. Finally, constraint, user schedule, multiple users, all those add up. I would say your best option would be to post a couple screenshots, the project preferences showing start/completion date/time, the schedule, the timezone you're in, the task owners, etc... Or, call into Support and we can walk you through the whole project to explain the start times and why they are showing how they are now. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 3
Thanks Dustin. I am still confused. We do have weird working hours. So it would be ideal to turn off the time of day portion of the tasks in the home view. It is starting to be a trigger for our company. I have read through your post that was added above. I am not sure how this is supposed to help the hours. I adjusted the schedule to say 6.5 hours a day. But we have the same problem where our due dates are due COB. It would be nice to turn this feature off all together. I will look for a screenshot to send. But this is going to cause our company to not be able to adopt the home view, which is a huge problem. Thanks. Emily Byrne The Starr Conspiracy

Level 3
We have a similar setup where we have flexible working, so lots of different start and finish times for individuals. To keep things simple, for the purpose of Workfront we effectively ignore people's individual work schedules - we have one schedule from 9am to 5pm, our typical hours set to 7 a day, and all tasks/projects are set to start at 9am and finish at 5pm (i.e. start of business, end of business). Stephanie Mulrooney Tomorrow People

Level 7
Hi Emily, I would say your best bet would be to use fixed dates for the task constraint then, and set the start and completion dates for each task. The down side to this, is they won't update automatically, nor will predecessor relationships work. Alternatively, set everyone to use the same schedule, and use that same schedule on the project. It's a tough position to be in for sure, but there are options! I think it would be a great idea to sit down with a business consultant and see if there's a way that you could get an EBR (Executive Business Review) and work through the workflows your company is using, and tweak them to best fit your company needs. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront