Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Tasks completed 100% still remain in My Work queue

Level 2
Users are reporting that when they manually mark a task at 100%, or manually set the status to Complete, the task does not leave their My Work queue. It remains on the list as a task that still needs to be completed, but does show the percent complete at 100% and status as complete. The user still has to click "Done" to get it out of their queue. I don't really understand why the task is not being removed from the queue when marked complete within the project. Dustin Silbereisen Novant Health
8 Replies

Level 10
I agree with you. The explanation I got (and it makes a little sense) is it gives the assignee the opportunity to verify if it's truly done (as they have not marked it yet). So if the PM or someone else closes the task the Assignee has a chance to say, "this isn't done yet" and they can have a conversation. It's kind of like a double check. I agree it may not be ideal, but I've learned to live with it �� Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. Technical Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 8
This is one of my pet-peeves as well, and I don't use the My Work page because of it. When I close a project, I go down the task list and mark everything 100%. i don't have time to open every individual task and set them to "Done". Adina Pierce Cisco

Level 10
I didn't realize that every time that project managers mark tasks 100% for the assignees that it leaves the tasks still available on My Work. It sorta makes sense though that you would want the users to confirm and they should actually be marking their work as done and to keep the project moving along which is why we're making use of this tool. Realistically though, I know some project managers who do this (mark tasks as 100%) for users who "forget" to hit done. I'm now thinking maybe it's best to use API and some programming to get this done. Key thing is searching for work items that have task:status=complete and isDone=false and then maybe schedule to run every afternoon to set isDone=true for all those work items. https://workfrontinstance/attask/api/WRKITM/search?task:status=CPL&isDone=false Polly Co

Level 2
Thanks for your responses! This is occurring when the assignee is also the planner, mostly. Most of my teams are not marking completion on behalf of assignees. A planner assigns themselves tasks within the project; WF auto-accepts the tasks and places it in the My Work queue since the assignee and planner are the same person; the assignee/planner marks the tasks complete within the project; when the assignee/planner returns to the My Work dashboard, the tasks are all still there. If WF understands not to make a user double-opt-in to work they assigned to themselves, it should understand not to make the same user double-confirm they completed the work... no? Dustin Silbereisen Novant Health

Level 7
Hi Dustin, And, well everyone else that is a bit confused. Here's what's going on, from Workfront's perspective. When you have someone assigned to a task, there are actually 2 statuses: Task status & User status. Task status is the relative status that you choose: New, In Progress, and Complete (by default.) User status is more hidden so to speak, in that it's the "Work On It" and "I'm Done" buttons. If a task owner clicks on Work On It, they set the user status in motion, as well as the task status in motion, typically changing the task status to In Progress at the same time. However, the only way to actually complete the task, is to click I'm Done. Nobody else can officially say that you're done with a task, which is why it's a separate process. Also, I've seen instances like yours where setting the Percent Complete to 100 doesn't trigger the user status to update, the best 'work around' is to have a drop down menu for task status, and change it to Complete. I've yet to see this not work for the task owner. Anyways, I hope this perspective helps explain why this situation occurs. You're always welcome to call into our Support if you need additional assistance. Thanks! Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 6
I noticed this happening in our instance as well. The pattern as I see it appears to be: Requests/Tasks resolved by someone other than the assignee (ex. a Project Manager) appear to only linger in the "My Work" area if the assignee selected "Work On It". If they left it in their Work Requests and someone moved it to "Complete/Resolved/Closed", then it doesn't hang out in "My Work". I also made a report filter to identify when something was resolved/completed/closed and the "Done" button wasn't clicked. You can put this in an assignment report: assignedToID_Mod=notblank assignedToID_Mod=notblank assignedTo:isActive=true assignedTo:isActive_Mod=eq opTask:status=CLS RLV opTask:status_Mod=in status=DN status_Mod=notin OR:1:assignedToID_Mod=notblank OR:1:task:status=CPL OR:1:task:status_Mod=in OR:1:assignedTo:isActive=true OR:1:assignedTo:isActive_Mod=eq OR:1:status=DN OR:1:status_Mod=notin Vincent Goodwin The Capital Group Companies

Level 4
Dustin: While I agree with everyone else here that this is a huge annoyance (people hate to click they are done with a task, the PM has to mark them 100% a majority of the time at my firm), the even larger problem I have seen is that if a Project is closed with these phantom complete tasks still on time sheets/My Work list, they remain on the timesheet forever. And, since the project is closed, there is no way to remove them from the work list without reopening the project so someone can click "I'm Done" and then reclosing the project. This should not be allowed. If you are forbidden from charging time to a closed project, then why allow a closed task on a closed project to linger there forever? Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 2
In the settings within edit project, change the Completion Mode setting to Automatic. That way when all the tasks are marked as 100% complete, the project status automatically changes to completed and the project will drop off your report. Dave Breiter Bolton & Menk