Expand my Community achievements bar.

Sort order on a Grouping

Level 2
Does anybody know how to requested a specific sort order by grouping in a report.
5 Replies

Level 8
Sorting and grouping are two different things, although they often work best when the same (or at least related). Sorting is done within the columns (and thus stored in the "view" option). You can either click on a column in the default report builder and check the "sort by this column" option (and then select sort order and ascending or descending) or in text mode add the lines: sortOrder=[1|2|3] sortType=[asc|desc] Because they are in different parts of Workfront, the only way to combine a sort order and a grouping is within a report. You can"t have a single choice of grouping also change the sort order for that grouping.

Level 10
Thanks for your posted response, above, Barry. I tried adding your text string to text mode for a report Grouping, but it doesn"t seem to be working. I"m grouping my task report by assigned to and then by planned completion date (named "Due" in my grouping). I"d like the sub-grouping for Planned completion date to show the oldest dates first. Here"s what I have: group.0.displayname=AssignedTo group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.namekeyargkey.0=assignedTo group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name group.0.valuefield=assignedTo:name group.0.valueformat=string group.1.displayname=Due group.1.groupdatesby=DY group.1.namekey=plannedCompletionDate group.1.notime=false group.1.sortOrder=[1|2|3] group.1.sortType=[asc|desc] group.1.valuefield=plannedCompletionDate group.1.valueformat=atDateAsDayString textmode=true Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks. Nick

Level 8
The two lines in group.1 with the square brackets indicate you need to choose one of the options - not have all three group.0.displayname=AssignedTo group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.namekeyargkey.0=assignedTo group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name group.0.valuefield=assignedTo:name group.0.valueformat=string group.1.displayname=Due group.1.groupdatesby=DY group.1.namekey=plannedCompletionDate group.1.notime=false group.1.sortOrder=[1|2|3] group.1.sortType=[asc|desc] group.1.valuefield=plannedCompletionDate group.1.valueformat=atDateAsDayString textmode=true Funny thing about our language, when you say "oldest" date first does that mean 1 Jul is "older" than 30 Jul or other way around. I think the two lines should be: group.1.sortOrder=1 group.1.sortType=asc But if I"ve got that the wrong way around, change the "asc" to "desc"

Level 10
Barry B. for the win! Thanks, this worked. Nick Valeriote

Level 2
Barry, can you clarify what you meant by "Because they are in different parts of Workfront, the only way to combine a sort order and a grouping is within a report. You can"t have a single choice of grouping also change the sort order for that grouping." I found this original Reply helpful. I have a fairly simple Report/View with just 1 grouping. I then want to sort by 1 column within those groupings. My order of operations was: 1) Set groupings in Report Builder mode‚ - I am grouping by "Project" group.0.linkedname=project group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.namekeyargkey.0=project group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name group.0.valuefield=project:name group.0.valueformat=string textmode=true‚ 2) Customize a View 2b) Add Text mode to that Column to drive the Sort - I want to sort by "Ordered Task Name Manual" linkedname=direct namekey=Ordered Task Name Manual querysort=DE:Ordered Task Name Manual sortOrder=1 sortType=asc textmode=true valuefield=Ordered Task Name Manual valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString ‚ 3) Apply that View to the Report by Default It just does not seem to be sorting by the Column, though.