Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Showing images in a list/report

Level 5
Good Morning! I've created a list view that has a column for images. Using the text mode outline in "Common Uses for Text Mode" documentation. But I'm having 2 problems 1) My request/review users see the URL not the image while my work licence and above see the image. These are projects and documents they have access to. 2) The images are stored in Workfront in the project document folder. I open the image in browser using the "open" option under the details pane and copy the URL. Then add that URL to the project details. It works initially but after some time, like an hr or so, the link "breaks" and the image no longer is shown and the link takes you to the document folder but not directly to the document. I think the URL might be expiring. Any insight on how I can get a permanent URL for an image loaded on Workfront? My users have been using Trello so prefer to have a representative image on their projects for quick reference. If I can get this list view to work it would be great for user adoption. Kristy Musgrove Havertys
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

12 Replies

Level 7
Hi Kristy, The problem with Reviewers and Requestors is that they won't have access to the project, which is why they see the URL. As for the URL expiring, it should never expire, I'm curious to know if you've grabbed the URL from a document, changed the sharing on it and then checked the URL again. If it's a proofed document, then we automatically archive them after 60 days by default. If you can duplicate this consistently, I would ask you to open a ticket with our support team to look into, as this doesn't sound like the correct functionality to me. Thanks and have a great weekend! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 6
Kristy, your method of copying the URL might be giving you the hosted location on AWS, which does expire (probably because AWS cycles their authentication details). This is a new change to Workfront. Last year your method would give a Workfront URL but as of the 19.1 release it appears to have switched to jump directly to AWS. Now, a better way to get the URL (example for Mozilla Firefox) is to right click on the image when on the image details page. Then select "Copy Link Location" which will give you a URL containing "preview" shown below. "...workfront.com/document/ preview ?versionID=..." Not sure how this method works for larger images, but it works great for the smaller report icons we use, and has been very stable. Matt Marks Banner Engineering Corp.

Level 5
You're right it was a AWS link. Using the thumbnail link seems to have worked. Thanks!!! Kristy Musgrove Havertys

Level 6
No problem, just be aware that the "Thumbnail" link might give some extra background color for small images that don't fill the thumbnail area, while the "preview" link should not. Also, both URLs might be subject to scaling problems for larger images since they are not the true image link (which is now unavailable via the AWS link). You can get both the "thumbnail" and "preview" links by switching between "copy link location" vs "copy image location" Matt Marks Banner Engineering Corp.

Level 5
I'm still not sure why my review/requester only see the URL in production. They have view access to the project and everything in it. Also, in the sandbox when logged in as the review/requester I can see the image... Maybe its a bug? Kristy Musgrove Havertys

Level 6
Possibly a bug, but it might be image visibility, which can differ from project visibility if the image is stored on a different project (like mine, which are stored on our "Icons" project) or if the image sharing was modified directly. Go to the image details and look through the inherited permissions to see if those individuals are included. If they are included, and can navigate to the image and see it successfully, it may be a bug. Matt Marks Banner Engineering Corp.

Level 10
Hi Matt, I'm struggling a bit with getting a small 15 x 15 PNG icon to display properly in the view. When added, I get about 200 pixels of padding around the image in the view. Since it seems you have this nailed down, do you have a sample block of text mode you could share where things work nicely? Also, does the file format have any impact on the sizes that you're aware of? Thanks, Narayan Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions

Level 5
Narayan, Here is the code I'm using (note I'm new to text mode so there may be a better way). We're not seeing any padding on our image thumbnails. We use both PNG and JPEG. displayname=Image image.name=Link Project image.valuefield=URL link.linkproperty.0.name=projectID link.linkproperty.0.value=ID link.lookup=link.edit link.page=/view link.valuefield=objCode link.valueformat=val textmode=true type=image valueformat= Kristy Musgrove Havertys

Level 6
Here is the code we have been using on one of our more recent reports. Working well. It checks a "priority" field and displays an icon based on null/1/2/3/4. Note that the links use the "/preview?versionID=" rather than the thumbnail. displayname=Priority enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.TimelinePriorityEnum enumtype=OPTASK image.case.0.comparison.icon=true image.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=priority image.case.0.comparison.lefttext=priority image.case.0.comparison.operator=in image.case.0.comparison.righttext=1 image.case.0.comparison.truetext=https://***.workfront.com/document/preview?versionID=5c815448002c90baa42bea153bc28fba&ID=5c814448002c90b90bc974442bf5b1fa image.case.1.comparison.icon=true image.case.1.comparison.leftmethod=priority image.case.1.comparison.lefttext=priority image.case.1.comparison.operator=in image.case.1.comparison.righttext=2 image.case.1.comparison.truetext=https://***.workfront.com/document/preview?versionID=5c815440002c8d53e8457182c0b72993&ID=5c814440002c8d521abb7764ae60a670 image.case.2.comparison.icon=true image.case.2.comparison.leftmethod=priority image.case.2.comparison.lefttext=priority image.case.2.comparison.operator=isnull image.case.2.comparison.righttext= image.case.2.comparison.truetext=https://***.workfront.com/document/preview?versionID=5c815440002c8d53e8457182c0b72993&ID=5c814440002c8d521abb7764ae60a670 image.case.3.comparison.icon=true image.case.3.comparison.leftmethod=priority image.case.3.comparison.lefttext=priority image.case.3.comparison.operator=in image.case.3.comparison.righttext=3 image.case.3.comparison.truetext=https://***.workfront.com/document/preview?versionID=5c815438002c8aa61704d9c40ca19aaf&ID=5c814438002c8aa5f49a51b4945e4688 image.case.4.comparison.icon=true image.case.4.comparison.leftmethod=priority image.case.4.comparison.lefttext=priority image.case.4.comparison.operator=in image.case.4.comparison.righttext=4 image.case.4.comparison.truetext=https://***.workfront.com/document/preview?versionID=5c815438002c8aa61704d9c40ca19aaf&ID=5c814438002c8aa5f49a51b4945e4688 linkedname=direct namekey=priority querysort=priority sortOrder=1 sortType=desc textmode=true type=enum valuefield=priority valueformat=val Matt Marks Banner Engineering Corp.

Level 10

This is what is working for me:

https://*******.my.workfront.com/internal/document/preview?versionID=620abc490000d72f23d3f6c07743d26...

Unfortunately, getting the ddress is a pain. Select the image, go to the summary box on the right, select "Versions", on the resulting page right click the preview icon to get the URL.

Level 5

I created a form with a calculated field with the following expression. Even if an aws link is in the project's URL field it will tease out the image info and convert to a workfront URL.

IF(CONTAINS(Project.URL,"amazonaws"),CONCAT("https://havertys.my.workfront.com/internal/document/thumbnail?documentVersionID=",SUBSTR(Project.URL,108,32),"&ID=",SUBSTR(Project.URL,75,32)),Project.URL)

Level 10

@Kristy Musgrove‚

Hi Kristy,

Can you give some context as to how you use this? is it a document form attached to the uploaded file?

I added this calc to a document form (changed the url to our instance), added it to an icon document I use in reports and recalculated the expressions but it returned "N/A".