Expand my Community achievements bar.

Sharing a mystery - about sharing

Level 2
I'd reach out to support about this one, but I suspect that I'm overlooking something silly. Two people execute the same steps, but we get very different outcomes. Specifically, when I (a system administrator) create a new project from TemplateX, it is shared with one small group. When another person (Plan license, but not an admin) creates a project using the same template, it's shared with half the groups in the company. Both projects are created in the same portfolio, so it's not portfolio-level sharing. The sharing specified on the template matches what I'm getting. Just not sure why all the others are getting added when my coworker makes a new project. EDIT - It does seem to be tied to the access level. Projects created by any admin are not shared broadly. Projects created by others are. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Corey Corey Young Dayton Children's Hospital
6 Replies

Level 10
Hi Corey, I believe the default behavior is to make the person creating the Project the owner of the project, and to assign that person's home group as the Project's group. If so, and your home group is different (with less members) than your colleague's, each (respective) group member would inherit rights to the new which could explain the difference in behavior you are observing. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 2
Good thought! Wrong! But good. It made sense, but all the parties in question have the same home group. Interestingly, the admins are members of more groups than the non-admins, but still the sharing differs. Also, the groups with which the resulting project is shared don't seem to correlate to the memberships of the people making the projects. I'm now looking at the template to see if it was copied from a project or template with the broader sharing. I still don't get why a project created by an admin would be shared with fewer groups than one created by others. Corey Young Dayton Children's Hospital

Level 5
@Corey Young - would like it if you would post up the solution to this one, as we have experienced some odd behaviour with sub-groups on holding projects and the scheduling tool...so groups are still a bit of a mystery to me also (except in reporting)... Miranda Rais GVC

Level 7
Hey Corey, I invite you and your coworker to open an existing project, project actions, sharing, and look at the top right gear icon. I suspect one of you has this set up like below: I've seen this one boggle people's minds before. :) Thanks, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 2
Thank you Dustin. This was the culprit. Never knew this was a feature. Much appreciated! Corey Corey Young Dayton Children's Hospital

Level 7
Absolutely Corey! I happened across it on accident a long time ago when one of my ASE customers reported a very similar issue. Hope you have a fantastic week! All the best, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront