Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Resource Scheduling

Level 1
Hello all. My name is Trae Brown and I work at GM Financial. I'm a Marketing Project Manager and my team is starting to look at Resource Scheduling and I'm curious to see how other teams are using this tool. Any feedback or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
12 Replies

Level 10
Hi Trae: We use it to answer a number of questions: 1. What are our people working on? 2. How much planned work are they really doing? 3. What isn’t getting done? I’ve got lots of fun stuff to read on WorkFront Resource Planning - send me an email (eric.lucas@crowley.com< ) and I’ll send you some PowerPoint decks. Bottom line - you’re going to get real good at cleaning up project plans ☺ Thanks, Eric

Level 1
Thanks Eric. I will send you my email. Also, another question I meant to ask, who are the Resource Managers in the different type of organizations?

Level 10
Hi: Marketing organizations usually structure themselves differently than non-Marketing groups. Where I work, um, I’m the resource manager in WorkFront. I’m responsible for looking at what people are assigned to, over- and under- allocation, capacity planning and all that. We are organized rather vertically, so most people working on a project report up through the org running the project. We don’t have too much problem assigning people to projects - we know who they are by virtue of knowing what organization they are in. I monitor and report status of resource allocations, coach PMs to stop over allocating people, and help people sort out levelling the demand. Thanks, Eric

Level 3
Eric, I'm curious how you like the new resource allocation tool. I'm accustomed to the Flash-based version, so the new one is challenging me. Maybe it's because I started my career as a writer, but the more graphic-based tools become, the less I like them. What are you seeing as the pluses in the new tool VS the current one?

Level 10
Well, I’ve been quiet about the new resource allocation tool. Time to start whispering about it, I suppose. There is a fundamental assumption regarding the new resource allocation tool. It assumes there is a single (or a small group of) resource managers supply people to various projects. That isn’t how we are organized and that isn’t how resource assignment to projects work here. We have long cycle projects and a few shorter cycle projects, our resources report into the same organization that is running the project, so the assignment of resources is really straight forward. The new resource scheduling tool also assumes that it is okay for the Resource Manager to move tasks around to better conform to resource availability. The Resource Manager, using the new screen, can move tasks forward and backward in time. At Crowley, no one but the Project Manager can move dates around. Having a Resource Manager move tasks around in time will produce unadulterated chaos here. We won’t be using the new resource scheduling screen, probably never, ever because those two foundational assumptions are incompatible with how we do business. I used to do program/campaign/project management in the world of Marketing. I was a Consultant for a software company that, ten or twelve years ago would have been a competitor of WorkFront in the Marketing workforce management space. It is my opinion that the new Resource Scheduling capabilities are finely tailored for resource management in the majority of marketing organizations. Those fundamental assumptions are good and proper in the world of marketing, not so much in the world of IT and business projects. When I spoke to the Product Management people working on this some time back, I commented on how this was Marketing-focused, and will not likely appeal to most non-Marketing people. They had said that marketing was their focus. If you search the Community, you can catch up on how many people were/are all aflutter about how WorkFront goes to market with a heavy Marketing workforce management story, and not so much in other areas. Their product strategy is heavily (in my opinion) focused on adding features and capabilities that are of value to Marketers. Yes, they do have things with general appeal, but their central focus, in my opinion, has been Marketing. Having worked for a workforce management software company focused exclusively on Marketing organizations, I see what they are doing and enjoy watching them navigate the waters we navigated 10 to 15 years ago. There is a bright spot in all this - WorkFront introduced the Swap-A-Roo functionality as part of this. While I have a clever report that I used to swap people out, I like the Swap-a-roo thing much better. I’m happy about that. Well, there we have it. I’d love to hear from people who are NOT in Marketing who will get a lot of value from the new resource scheduler. I’d like to know how they handle resource managers moving tasks around in time. I’m bound to learn something. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Really? That's very very disappointing to hear :( In Reply to Lucas Eric, MPM:
When I spoke to the Product Management people working on this some time back, I commented on how this was Marketing-focused, and will not likely appeal to most non-Marketing people. They had said that marketing was their focus.

Level 10
Yeah. WorkFront has been very sensitive, in my opinion, on this point. They have a substantial customer base in non-Marketing domains and they wisely don’t want to create any concern or any distance between their product strategy and their existing customers. They are, however, trying hard to grow revenue. The way to do that in workforce management is to target a domain, like Manufacturing, Government Contract Management, Food Services, Marketing, Finance, and so on. If your product is tailored for that domain, well, you are going to do very well in that domain because the value proposition is manifestly obvious to prospects in that domain. You will more quickly appeal to Early and Late Adopters (Thanks, Geoffrey Moore) with a tailored value prop than a generic value prop. Had WorkFront not marched down a path to add Marketing-specific features, they would have only appealed to Early adopters, and that isn’t going to drive the kind of revenue growth they need (or could have). I think their strategy and execution is sound. Therefore, let’s face the fact that WorkFront feels they have a good grasp on generic workforce management (used in domains like IT/PMO) and are venturing out to other revenue opportunities, namely the Marketing Domain. Good on them. I’m all for WorkFront being a self-sustaining, profitable, stand-alone company. The more financially stable (profitable) they become, well, it is a good thing for all WorkFront users. I’m all for them making a modest, reasonable profit from a larger number of customers than a significant profit from a small number of customers. So, let’s talk about their Product Strategy. They have to refine their product so that they become the obvious choice for Marketing project and resource management. They have to do it without alienating the existing customer base. It is a fine dance they are engaged in, to say the least. I’m a cynical, jaded former marketing project manager, so I don’t listen to the “key messages” or “explanations of the roadmap”. I look at what the roadmap contains. The words are nice, but the roadmap speaks so loudly, I can’t remember their positioning of that roadmap. I see it and believe it is Marketing-centric, but I understand why. The impact for existing non-Marketing customers is necessarily that features we want/need won’t come as quickly as we like, as WorkFront resources are focused more, not totally, but more on adding Marketing features. When I started with AtTask back in 2013, we struggled with WorkFront’s lack of ability to appreciate that cost rates change over time. After meeting with Steve Zobell and Eric (the former CEO) back in 2015 and explaining why this lack of time-sensitivity in cost rates was limiting the expansion of WorkFront’s use where I work, I was assured we’d see something to address that need later in 2016. To Steve Z’s credit, they have/are rolling out time-, project-, and group-sensitive rates. Oh, they chose to add those capabilities to BILLING rates, not COST rates. When I asked about it in Best of LEAP in London, Steve Zobell said “Crawl before you walk” and gave some color commentary. I interpret that conversation to mean once they figure out how to get it working with Billing Rates, they’ll consider implementing time-sensitivity to Cost rates. The operative question is - why would they implement time sensitivity with Billing, not Cost rates? It is my opinion that Marketing organizations will get a lot of value from being able to have project, group, and time-sensitive billing rates. I get it. I just wish they had done Cost rates, but I understand why they didn’t. Keep in mind, no one from WorkFront said that was the reason they chose Billing instead of Cost, it is my opinion. So that is an example of how some non-Marketing needs fall in priority behind the need to add features that appeal to Marketers. Like I said, I get why they are doing it. I am hoping that WorkFront makes a massive splash in the Marketing realm, mops up the majority of the marketshare, and adjusts their Product Management roadmap to be heavier on generic project needs, and less on marketing needs. I’m optimistic like that. For those who manage Marketing work, you’re going to love what WorkFront is doing to address your unique, specific needs. Seriously. They’ve thought this through and are walking down a sensible path you’re going to like. Voice of Experience. How’s that for a proper ramble? Thanks, Eric

Level 10
Hi Trae - and thanks Eric for your valuable insights as usual :) We do not use Workfront for marketing activities but rather for more traditional IT-PMO operations, and are probably somewhat similar to Eric's organisation in that we have a mix of short, medium and long term projects being resourced within the same company. We don't yet use the new Resource Scheduling tool, although our main reason is that we can't filter the Tasks based on Custom Data. We have a number of revenue-related Tasks in most projects which never need to be resourced, and they clutter up this screen and make it un-usable. The good news is that I have heard that Workfront are adding the ability to filter based on custom data, so at least this impediment should be removed. We can then go ahead with testing it properly and seeing if it will add value for our users. I do share Eric's concern and we absolutely don't want Resource Managers to be able to change Planned Dates for tasks....only Project Managers are allowed to do that. However, I don't think this concern is much different with the new Resource Schedule tool vs the old Working On Calendar which our teams currently use. Our Resource Managers already know not to move tasks laterally, but they do use the tool to move tasks between resources, so I expect that we will be able to use the new Resource Scheduling tool for that purpose. I've also been having a look at the upcoming Resource Planner tool. One of the things that came out of my testing and discussions with product management is that there needs to be some functionality to tie the two screens together. i.e. The Resource Planner should be used first to review the resource demands of existing and new projects, adjust priorities, and budget the resources. The Resource Scheduling tool needs to be used next to go ahead and do the resourcing of tasks for those projects where budgets were approved. The missing link is currently how the users in this tool know which projects were budgeted in the Resource Planning tool. If they can add this functionality so that there is a smooth and secure interaction between these tools, and also make a couple of enhancements to both tools, then hopefully we can start using them. For the moment, our Resource Management team really just uses the Legacy Working On Calendar (not the new one for functionality reasons) for reviewing tasks currently assigned to resources, and then assigns the tasks within a project on another browser tab. We do most of our resource reporting in Excel, because the old flash-based Resource Utilisation (Resource Grid) tool is extremely limited with regards to filtering, grouping etc. Regardless of Workfront's new focus on Marketing, I will keep pushing our own agenda and hope to help shape the tools to suit us as much as possible, as we have already invested a lot into Workfront.

Level 10
Just thought I'd provide an update post 2017.2 release. The new My Work Calendar has been well received so far, though it's early days. The new Project Scheduling screen is a hit with our Project Managers. They had been crying out for a Working On Calendar type of view of their own projects for some time now. This looks like it fits the bill very well. The enhancements to the Working On Calendar and Scheduling tool are positive and our Scheduling team are now seriously considering switching over from the old Working On Calendar which they have used up until now. I haven't yet had a chance to review the Resource Planner since it's been released but am keen to spend a bit of time on this again. I'd also like to hear if any Workfront Product Managers (or others in the know) can advise how work is going to tie the Resource Planner workflow through to the Scheduling tool. Well done to Workfront on delivering quite a lot of improvements in the resource tools this release. I'm glad to have had some input, and that Product Management are clearly listening to customer feedback. If they hadn't, we would certainly not have the positive reactions above, because earlier versions of these tools didn't work for us at all. David Cornwell Pentana Solutions

Level 1
Hi Everyone. My name is Philomena. We have just rolled out workfront in our organisation and I would like to know how the resource planning and scheduling tool works. I would like to review our divisional portfolios to match demand versus capacity and then across all the divisions. I would like graphical views too but not sure where to start as I would like to keep it simple to start with. At present I have all the projects and the plans loaded with resource allocated but I cannot see anything in the resource or people area. KR Philomena Philomena D'Sa Engie

Level 5
Albeit late to this discussion string, thank you Eric and David for making me feel 'not alone' in this new Resource Scheduling/Resource Planning world. I play the role of PM and Resource Manager in an IT division so I concur with your summaries thus far. I appreciate you using your experience to voice the concerns of the IT customers who do want to continue using and growing with Workfront! Tracy Fox Project Manager / Workfront SysAdmin Sykes Assistance Services Corporation

Level 10
I'm keen to hear from any IT/traditional PMO users who actually use the new Resource Planner. How do you use it? How does it fit into your workflow? I'm still reviewing the Resource Planner and providing a lot of feedback but it's not ready for us to use yet. Hopefully after the 18.1 release we may be able to use it. David Cornwell