Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Resource Budgeting: Planned vs Budgeted Variance

Level 4
Hi All, Word of warning, this will take about 10 minutes to setup if you want to test in your own environment. I recently was digging into some of the planned vs budgeted variances we found in our data after setting up many projects on the resource planner using "Set Budget to Planned". I found that the budgeted hours are not rolling into the same month/quarter as the planned hours whenever there is a week that crosses two months. For example, assume your schedule has 8 hours per day M-F. If you create a task with 30 hours spanning from 12/24/2018 to 12/31/2018 (assume no holidays) then the planned hours will be distributed out with 4.29 hours per day all in the month of December. If you look at the utilization report, planner, or budgeter, there will be 21.43 hours for the week of 12/24 and 8.57 hours for the week of 12/31. Zooming out to month there will be 30 hours in the month of December. Zooming out to Quarter there will be 30 hours for Q4 2018. However, if you go to December in the resource budgeting tool, and you choose "set budget to planned" for the weeks of 12/24 and 12/31 the numbers will not add up the same. At the week view, you will have 21.43 budgeted for 12/24 and 8.57 budgeted for 12/31. When you roll up by month, you will have 25.71 hours in December and 4.29 hours in January. Likewise you will have 25.71 budgeted for Q4 2018 and 4.29 for Q1 2019. It's likely not going to have a major impact for most use cases; But it is a systematic variance that did not exist in the previous Resource Estimate tool set, so I thought I'd bring attention to it. James Bender Jackson/JTS
1 Reply

Level 10
Hi James, Thanks for the warning. We're working on some down-to-the-day Capacity Charting goodies for the new year and have observed the same thing. Along that line, there's another edge case where PTO is ignored for a certain Duration Types, misrepresenting the Work per day. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads