Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Request Queue Routing Logic

Level 2
Is it possible to build logic into Requests queues so that requests can be routed to specific individuals based on user submitting request (primary contact)? I have looked into Queue topics but I cannot seem to get the level of automation desired. Tim Watts Disney Institute
7 Replies

Level 10
You can by using the queue topics. Essentially the queue topics give you submenus and you can route based on the submenu chosen. See below (hopefully my indentations stay in place). Queue Menu Sub Menu 1 -> routes to person and/or Team A Sub Menu 2 -> routes to person and/or Team B Keep in mind it only lets you route to one person and one Team. You can list individual assignments. Of course you can also do it with an API and route based on specific field selections. But that's another conversation J . Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 2
Thanks. The hope though was to pull it off without the user having to choose queue drop downs. This is why I was hoping I could base the routing rule based on a value in the request like person submitting. Sounds like that is not a built in capability. Tim Watts Disney Institute

Level 10
Tim, We've implemented this in the way Vic is describing. Using a drop down box, just adds clarify and avoids miss-directing a request. It keeps everyone on the same page and works great. One concern I see with what you want to do is this, what if user A needs to open a request and you have hard coded that user ID's request to go to Sam. It is not possible that eventually that same user might need to open a request that would really need to go to a different person/group? Just a thought. Benetta Perry APS

Level 8
If you're creating an approval path for an issue (request) you can access primary contact manager. This option isn't available for project statuses. It doesn't sound like your solution, but I'll mention it anyway just in case... You can route to portfolio and/or program owners. If you can structure your programs based on user hierarchy, you could achieve something similar. Note you would have to create a queue per program/portfolio anyway (using the same form but different routing rule) so the users would still need to select from the drop down. It just means if staff change you can edit who owns the program/portfolio rather than each relevant stage of each approval path. Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 4
Tim, I noticed that you were hoping to avoid drop downs. You will notice that each queue topic / group has a unique URL. If you make that link available to your users somewhere you can send them straight to the correct spot and they won't have to pick a queue topic or queue group. Daniel Cooley Kenall

Level 7
Hi Vic, Just reading your comment. Had a few meeting s recently where they are very keen to get rid of the drop down options at the beginning of making a new request as this drop down has grown to now around 7 options and the business don't want this and instead want to see if there was an alternative way of routing requests, based on what they have selected in the form. I see that mention using API, is this something you are familiar with and able/happy to advise me on? I don't know if it makes a difference but they would want to possibly send the request to more than one user based on what has been selected in the form. Thank you, Vicky. Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 10
Hi Vicky, Yes you can do this via the API. I'd be happy to walk you through how we would do that, but if you don't have API coding in place it might not be much help. Do you already use the API or at least have access to a Developer to write something for you? But yeah I'm happy to show you how we would do that. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT Program Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT