Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Reporting on Tasks in Order they Appear on Template

Level 4
I am working on creating a report on project health to show how much time is spent on certain tasks during the life of a project. In order to get the data to display correctly, I need the tasks on the summary & chart tab to appear in the order they appear in the template so I can graph the amount of time spent on the project from start to finish. Does anyone know how to do this? (I do not want to add numbers in front of tasks as we try to keep naming consistent across templates, and a particular task may appear in different order depending on what template the task appears in.)
2 Replies

Level 8
Wouldn't sorting by ID or Work Breakdown Structure of the task achieve this? ID would work if the tasks are created in sequence in the same order they are in with the template. Work Breakdown structure should work regardless of how Workfront creates tasks from templates.

Level 10
Barry, that was my first thought, too...but since Tasks on Projects can be deleted and inserted, the WBS can differ, even on Projects that originate from the same Template, effectively mixing up the comparisons. Another way then, Alyson, is to group by the Template Task's Task Number, which (within a list of Projects based on the same Template) will always give consistent results (provided the Template stays the same). (Sidebar: if Templates do change, by the way, you can synchronize the changes out to existing Projects using our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/sync-template/">Sync Template AtApp.) That all said, though, I would encourage you to consider using Milestonesh to allow for comparisons between similar Projects that might not have the same Template (or any at all). Regards, Doug