Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Report all child tasks is user is assigned to one of the child tasks

Level 4
Hi All: I am trying to create a report that returns all the child tasks of a parent task if the user is assigned to any one of those child tasks. For instance, we have a project with 200 parent tasks that each have the following child tasks 1) Prepare 2) Review 3) Address Comments and 4) Final Sign off. I want to create a chart that groups all the child tasks of that parent by status if the user is assigned to any one of the child tasks. Has anyone been able to create something similar? Regards, Brandy Brandy Johnson John Hancock Investment Management
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Level 10
Hi - you will want to make sure you use the filter Assignment Users ID equals $$USER.ID. If you use Assigned To ID that only brings back tasks that they are task owner on. (SIDE NOTE: If you are ever looking for a role that is assigned to tasks on a project, you want to use the Assignment Roles ID equals filter, not Assigned To Role ID equals) Hope that helps. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 4
Hi Anthony. Thank you for your response. I don't think that is quite what I'm looking for. I am looking to pull all child tasks related to a parent task even though the user is assigned to only one of those child tasks. For instance: Parent Task 1 - no assignment child task 1 - assigned to user 1 child task 2 - assigned to user 2 child task 3 - assigned to user 1 and user 2 child task 4 - assigned to user 2 Parent Task 2 - no assignment child task 1 - assigned to user 3 child task 2 - assigned to user 2 child task 3 - assigned to user 3 and user 2 child task 4 - assigned to user 2 If user 1 runs the report, I want all 4 child tasks associated with Parent Task 1 to return. If user 2 runs the report, I want all 8 of the listed child tasks to return. Do you have any suggestions for this scenario? Thanks, Brandy Brandy Johnson Manulife - John Hancock

Level 10
Hi Brandy, I've been giving your requirements some thought today. Pretty tough one -- perhaps even not possible -- using Workfront's standard reporting. Best guess, in theory, with no testing, and admitting that I might be overthinking it, this might have a shot: create a custom parameter that records a) for each Child node task's (i.e. "Number of Children = 0") Parent ID in it, or b) for Parent Tasks, it's own ID create an EXISTS that finds every such custom parameter where the Tasks is assigned to the logged in user ($$USER), using Anthony's tip above apply that EXISTS against a Task Report that joins on that custom parameter If that's too much, though, I'd invite you to consider our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/magic-reports/" Magic Reports offering, if the benefit warrants so. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 4
Thanks for the help, Anthony & Doug! I got it to work by using the following filter: EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=EXISTS EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=TASK EXISTS:a:assignmentsUsersMM:ID=$$USER.ID EXISTS:a:parentID=FIELD:parentID Brandy Johnson Manulife - John Hancock

Level 10
You Rock, Brandy: well done! Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore