Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Pushing fields from a Request to a Project

Level 2
Hi all, I am looking for some help here. I have a calculated field on my Request form. On my Project form I bring in that calculated field; however, I had a typo on it for a while so it was not populating. I fixed the typo and created a project from a request and it comes over correct now. The question is, how do I get all the current projects to reflect this field? I really need it there for reporting but it did not update with the fix. Any ideas? Nicole Black FGCU
8 Replies

Level 7
I would suggest trying the "Recalculate Custom Expressions" option on the Project. To test out, suggest bulk editing 2 current Projects, scroll down to where it says, "Recalculate Custom Expressions" and click on the checkbox, and then save changes, and see if the information now populates on your report. If it works, then you can do a bulk edit to all of your current Projects using this method. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 2
Thank you Terry, I tried that with two projects but the field did not populate. Nicole Black FGCU

Level 7
That was my best guess as to what might have been happening - hopefully someone else will have the solution! Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Hi Nicole, If the recalc didn't populate the missing data, perhaps there's something in the calculation preventing it from doing so. Without disturbing The Good Ones, I'd suggest adding a temporary calculated parameter next to The Good One and gradually building it up to the (same) desired formula, which can sometimes reveal the root cause. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
I will try that. The fields with the data that are calculated is in the Project Request Form but are not carried over to the Project Form, just the calculation field. Would that be the problem with the recalculation not working? Example Request Form has Field 1 – # of planning hours Field 2 - # of Design hours Field 3 - # of Build hours Calculation Field – 1+2+3 = Total Project Form has Calculation Field Total Thank You, Nicole Black, PMP IT Project Manager Information Technology Services Florida Gulf Coast University (239)-745-4369 | nblack@fgcu.edu Florida has a very broad public records law. As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt. Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to the University. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Level 10
Ehm...yes; without the A, B, and C fields present on the Project, I would expect the sum of A + B + C to be Null, which matches what you're (not) seeing upon recalc. I'm surprized that the formula even let you save the Project custom form definition; normally it stops you with a warning and forces you to correct it. That aside, assuming the Requests are still in Workfront, you could either change the forms to match by adding (and manually populating) A, B and C then recalculating, or change the Project calculation to "reach back" to the originating request and have it pull A, B, and C (or the total itself, directly) onto the Project total calculated parameter. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
The Total field on the Project Form is designed as a "reach back" to the originating request. However, this set up is why I thought the "Recalculate Custom Expressions" might not be working. Thank You, Nicole Black, PMP IT Project Manager Information Technology Services Florida Gulf Coast University (239)-745-4369 | nblack@fgcu.edu Florida has a very broad public records law. As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt. Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to the University. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Level 10
just flailing around here @Nicole Black -- did you already try the update previous calculations at the custom forms level (in settings)? You should be able to see it when you select the calculated field in the custom form. -skye