Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Pulling down a Custom Field from the Portfolio level to the Project Level

Level 4

Hello!

I have custom forms on the Portfolio level and the Project level and I am trying to get information from a custom field on the Portfolio Level to a calculated custom field on the Project Level but everything I am trying is not working. Below are the few options I have tried and all return an n/a in the project field. I have confirmed the Portfolio field is filled out and the project is linked to the portfolio and recalculated expressions and even waited a day, but nothing worked. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the formula needs to be?

{portfolio}.{DE:Custom Field}

{program}.{portfolio}.{DE:Custom Field}

LEFT({portfolio}.{DE:Custom Field},10)

Thank you!
Kristina
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10
{portfolio|portfolioMM}.{name}

Not very intuitive, right?

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10
{portfolio|portfolioMM}.{name}

Not very intuitive, right?

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use.

Level 4

Thank you Randy, I would not have guessed that! I am unfortunately still getting an n/a for the two calculate fields on the project level even though they are filled out on the program level. Do you have any other tips otherwise I might need to submit a support ticket.

Thank you,

Kristina

Level 10

What is the name of one of the fields? and what type of field is it? (text, multi-select, date)

I'll re-create it and see if I can get it to work.

Level 4

I have tried type ahead, checkbox and text field, and all three are giving me n/a. Are there restrictions on what can be used in a calculated field?

The Checkbox field on the portfolio is Emerging Market Client

The Type ahead field on the portfolio is called OCS Mac Client Name

The text field was me testing out typing in Yes versus using a checkbox to see if there was a restriction on the type of field.

Level 10

I opened a ticket for this as it looks like a bug that isn't affecting everyone.Custom Field.jpg

Community Advisor

I was able to get dropdown and checkbox field to work using

{portfolio}.{DE:Custom Field Name}   

(this gave a result when I went and attached the form)

For the typeahead, I had to remember to use ":name" at the end of the field.

i.e. {portfolio}.{DE:Typeahead Field Name:name}

Community Advisor

PS: I know you said you recalculated expressions, but I'm not sure if you know that there are two ways to do this -- one at the project level, where your form is, and one on the actual field. Have you recalculated both ways or just one way?

Level 10

When I logged in today, it magically started working… with all the same custom fields I tried yesterday

Same field as yesterday

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 7.02.19 pm.jpg

Typeahead Field

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 7.01.56 pm.jpg