Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Project's most recently completed task and next task due

Level 2

Hi Roy, I invite you to adapt this Project Level textmode trick to pull back (I'd suggest, in two separate columns) both recently completed (e.g. Actual Completion Date within the past X days) and the next (Handoff Date not blank and Actual Completion Date blank) Tasks. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

10 Replies

Level 10
Hi Roy, You would actually do Task Reports (and display the Project Name in the View) - Tasks Completed Last Week & Tasks Scheduled for This Week (which includes any past open tasks). Screen shots show the filters of each report. You would add additional filters: · By a certain Project Owner, or create a Prompt, or use the $$USERID so it pulls up projects for whomever opens that report. You may want to Group by Project as well. We do all this by placing a dashboard in the Project tab (via the Template Layout). This acts as a filter for that particular project. But if you want to see all their projects in one report, the above should work. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

Level 2
Thanks for your response, Vic. We actually do have a dashboard that shows tasks due today, next week,etc, which is particularly useful for those who are completing tasks to manage their work. However, the project managers (as well as their supervisors) would like to see a list of projects showing the last task on that project that was completed (regardless of when that was) and, preferably on the same report, the next task that's due on that project. It's basically a snapshot of where all projects are in the process. Roy Mesler Systems Analyst Transportation Research Board The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine

Level 10

Hi Roy, I invite you to adapt this Project Level textmode trick to pull back (I'd suggest, in two separate columns) both recently completed (e.g. Actual Completion Date within the past X days) and the next (Handoff Date not blank and Actual Completion Date blank) Tasks. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 2

@Doug Den Hoed‚ - given the shift to WF One, can you provide a working link to that trick?

Did anyone actually answer Roy's question? Because I have the same one. Trying to provide:

a) A SINGLE most recently completed Task (or milestone) for a Project

b) and the SINGLE next canStart task

Level 10

Hi Seth,

Actually, I just tried it, and the link above still works at the moment since for now, community.workfront.com is still available, for reference. I encourage you to do likewise at your earliest opportunity.

As I recall, it is scheduled to be turned off this week, but I believe that @Kyna Baker - inactive‚ confirmed that once it is, the links will also be preserved (presumably redirecting to the converted copy of the original post within one.workfront.com, or something equivalent).

Regards,

Doug

Level 7

Hello, Did anyone ever figure out a solution to display only the last task completed and only the next task due? I love the solution for all completed tasks in a date range and upcoming tasks in a dat range, however, like you, Seth, I only need the single last task completed and the single next task due and cannot seem to figure out how to get what I need. Any help would be appreciated! 😃

Employee

Hello all,

Great news! That thread has been brought over! I'll update the original post to have the new link as well.

https://one.workfront.com/s/question/0D50z00006Px4q9CAB/the-2nd-coolest-textmode-column-i-invented-t...

Also, I will double check because I thought these links should have been already updated!

Kyna

Level 7

I ran across this in one of the threads...(I apologize that I don't remember which one now) in any case, it uses the "can start" to only display tasks that can start based on completion of predecessors. The drawback is that if you don't use predecessors, then all of your tasks technically "can start" so you may display more than one task

displayname=Current Task

listdelimiter=‍

listmethod=nested(tasks).lists

textmode=true

type=iterate

valueexpression=IF({numberOfChildren}=0,IF({canStart},IF(CONTAINS("CPL",{status}),"",CONCAT({name}," "))))

valueformat=HTML

Thank you to everyone that shares knowledge!

Level 10

Hi Rhonda,

Can Start is Handoff Date's snazzier younger brother, and either way, will help reduce the number of Tasks returned. You might also consider adding Number Of Children into the IF statement to only bring back "node" tasks (e.g. equal to zero) or "parent" tasks (e.g. greater than zero), which would reduce it further. If you happen to only be looking for handful of particular tasks (or template tasks), you could use IFIN their names so that only those tasks are considered for display. But since there is no way to aggregate (e.g. MAX) or sort the results that do come back from such type=iterate request, it will still be possible that multiple rows are returned...which is correct, technically, and effectively means there's more than one thing to do next.

Life's like that.

Regards,

Doug

Level 7

Thank you for the ideas! Unfortunately, our folks used fixed dates quite a bit but you are correct, life is like that and we cannot always have everything we want in life 😃