Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Project Percent Complete not Updating

Level 1
I'm sure this is simple, but it's been a long time since I went through Bootcamp and I've read through the docs, but it looks like everything is setup properly. I have a number of projects that I've created and the % complete for the project isn't updating when we complete tasks. I made a simple project with two tasks, completed one, but Project % isn't changing. Is there a calculation option in the project that manages this? Is it something that could be set at the portfolio level (as this is happening for all the projects in this portfolio). Sorry if this is simple, but I'm pulling my hair out and I know it's something basic. Jeff Wunderler Southco
5 Replies

Level 7
In our project settings, under the "Settings" section, we have Update Type set to "Automatic and On Change", which when one updates the task percent complete or marks the task complete, it automatically updates the overall project percent complete. Might this be the cause of your issue? We have this setting set at the template level, so it is set whenever a project is opened. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 1
Hi Terry, Thanks for the response. Project was set to Auto/On Change. Looks like that is a default for us too. If the duration is 1 day for a task, and then mark the % Complete to 100 on the Task List view, that should be all that's needed to make the Project % update, correct? It does change the task status to "complete", so I know that worked. Jeff Wunderler Southco

Level 7
In Setup, under Projects --> Calculate Percent Complete based on...we have Duration. Perhaps that is it? Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 7
And, to answer your question, yes, it should update the Project percentage. That is how it works on our projects - I created a test project, added 2 tasks, marked task 1 as done and it updated the Project percentage to 50%. Task 1 100%, Task 2 0% -- overall Project Percentage 50%. As a side note: we also use Calculated Assignment for our Duration Type (Setup --> Tasks & Issues). Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 1
That was it.... I thought I checked that setting, but apparently I didn't. It was set to "Planned Hours" which makes sense to measure the amount of work that was completed to date. Thanks so much for the help. I knew it was simple! Jeff Wunderler Southco