Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Project Managers with no PM experience

Level 4
I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to guide Project Managers in the tool who have no PM experience -:). Once a user joins Workfront, I give them training by giving them one on one trainings, PPT presentations, How To documents, setting up a project to store "How To's. I even do "Workfront Wednesday's, where I cover tips and tricks and latest enhancements. This being said, we are a global company and once people start working, they lose sight of managing their timelines. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time running "Clean Up" reports. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this and can offer some solutions of how to keep everyone on track? I have explained predecessors, constraints created templates, etc. I'm out of ideas. Not to mention, I'm the only System Administrator for the company so I'm extremely busy with that. how do you juggle teaching project management and managing the tool? Need help here. Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive
5 Replies

Level 10
I feel your pain!!! Sounds like you have this type of stuff covered already - but in case this is useful, I created a Project Scheduling Best Practices doc. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 4
Thank you so much!!!! This is very helpful. Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive

Level 1
Not sure if this is an option for you - if you have a training department or PMO in your organization - but we created a half day internal Project Management Essentials training class at our company. The first part of the class is project management training and the last hour is Workfront training. Everyone brings their computers and does a mock project. This helps tie the concepts together and helps the users understand what the Workfront terms mean and how they can be helpful. Our PMO team also assigns a mentor to each person for their first project. Hope this is helpful. Have a wonderful day! Marcia Rose Olympusat, Inc.

Level 4
Thank you Marcia. We don't have a training dept. or PMO. That would be me as well. However, I like the idea of offering some Project Management specific classes and then doing separate Workfront training. I'll give it a try. Leslie Tanner CreativeDrive

Level 1
Hey Leslie- I am a Project Management Consultant that works with various agencies on workflow, process, training and implementation. I have implemented Workfront for a particular client but glad to connect with you offline if you want to talk further about ways to help you out! Brandi Whitaker brandiwwhitaker@gmail.com Brandi Whitaker CHOA