Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Portfolios and Resource Pools

Level 10
Curious to know how many resources pools some of you have compared to Portfolios. I'm starting to tap into the Capacity Planner features and based on reading it says you should have a resource pool for each portfolio. However, the portfolios we are tracking use the same exact job roles; I'm figuring we only need to use that one resource pool. Thoughts please? Thank you.
8 Replies

Level 10
Hi: We have one resource pool for all of IT. it is because anyone in IT can work on any project. WorkFront currently only allows you to assign one resource pool to a project. I hear that in future, they’ll allow people from multiple resource pools to be assigned to the same project. They have to change their Capacity Planner first, which is in the works. Hope this helps! Eric

Level 10
We tried to go the multiple resource pool route (to match our Groups not Portfolios0 and it just doesn't work. You have to then manually type in how many of each job role go to that pool. Even though you have it attached to the user profile, it doesn't auto calculate. If you take the 1 resource pool approach, you can set the "budget" for all the users in your system and then work it that way. But as Eric said, they are completely redoing this functionality (don't know if you saw Nick's presentation at LEAP) and part of that will be multiple resource pools as well as 25% of time on a certain role if someone has multiple roles in your company. Very exciting stuff. :)

Level 10
Unfortunately, I was not able to attend LEAP. Is there any Powerpoint or documention of these upcoming changes?

Level 1
Do you have an estimated timeline for the updates to allow more than one resource pool on a project? Or what the other upcoming changes are to the capacity planner and when they are scheduled for release? We are really struggling with Capacity Planner performance, to the point that it is not even usable. We have 340 projects all assigned to one resource pool. Thanks! Heidi

Level 10
Hi Heidi. Next week, there is a product roadmap webinar being held which you can register for. The updated capacity planner may be discussed (it was, briefly, in the last quarterly presentation). At that stage, it was in the investigation phase and not a lot of info was available. I expect you should be able to ask some questions if you want more details too.

Level 9
Here are the webinar registration details. -Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 2
Are we able to access the info to this webinar still? Knowing the product roadmap, as well as plans to updating the Resource Pool would be very helpful.