Expand my Community achievements bar.

Portfolio Creation Restriction. But Allow Program Creation

Level 10
Hi WF Community, It's a little unfortunate that as an Admin I can't restrict the access level for Portfolios (remove the Create permission) without it applying the same permission to the Programs object. Does anyone know a way around this? If not, does anyone know a way in which I can be notified (email alert) when someone creates a new portfolio? Thanks. Nick Nick Valeriote
5 Replies

Level 10
that's a tough one but I can't think of anything that would work aside from a report / custom form combination. For example, if you had a report detailing portfolios created in the past week, you'd at least be able to review them, and if you paired this with a portfolio custom form that only admins can see and edit, that indicates whether or not you've approved the creation then you could filter by this in your report and have it sent to you once a week (or a day if your users are rambunctious). -skye

Level 3
Hi Nick, One option is to use a Layout Template to restrict what they immediately have access to see. If a user doesn't have a layout template and they are looking at the Projects area, they have the ability to access the Portfolios tab. This is where users will get into trouble because it contains the "+ New Portfolio" button in both the Portfolios I Own and the All Portfolios tabs. However, they will not see that button if you remove their ability to see the Portfolios tab in the Global Projects Area using a custom Layout Template. I would create a new layout (or modify an existing one) where you hide the Portfolios tab in the Projects area. If your users still need to see the portfolios or the programs, you can create a portfolios or programs report and attach it to a dashboard, then add it to the Projects area in the new or modified layout template. In order for the user to add a new program, they'd have to go to one of the shared portfolios, and the portfolios report does not provide the ability to add a new portfolio. Here is an image of how it looks to the user: Dan Perkins Rego Consulting

Level 10
Thanks for this, Skye. I'm going to keep in it mind with the other option below. Nick Valeriote

Level 10
Thanks, Dan. I'm going to investigate this option further when I have time. Nick Valeriote

Level 4
For what it's worth, there is an Idea Exchange submission for this - https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSCIAA4/detail . It needs more votes right now to be considered, so if you haven't already maybe to give it a vote? Chris Flynn | PMP, BSHSA, CPC-P Project Manager II | Business Solutions and Program Management Florida Health Care Plans | 1340 Ridgewood Ave., Holly Hill, FL 32117