Expand my Community achievements bar.

Please upvote Work On It button-remove it from the task notification email

Level 5
Hi Everyone, Please upvote this: >https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000H0egAAC/detail Remove "Work On It" Button from email when task is first assigned If the task has predecessors the new task email notification SHOULD NOT have a Work on It button! They can not "Work on It" and this is confusing to my users. If the person clicks on the "Work on It" button from that email that action is not recorded anywhere in Workfront and does not change the task status to In Progress. So the project owners have no way of knowing they clicked the button. Even worse for project owners is that clicking "Work on It" does lock the timeline of that task for the user which causes them to now know if the task is ready to start earlier or later than expected. I personally hate the Work on It button, it makes onboarding a new person so much harder. It's just too confusing to have a large button that the user should not click. Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology
4 Replies

Level 10
the "Work On It" button action is recorded in the Work item's "assignment status". It's a fair gripe that this field isn't more visible from the Work Item, and it's also a fair complaint that the "Work On It" button is poorly named: you're not actually working on it, you're more indicating that you'll accept the work, so it should be the "Accept Assignment" button. For many companies, people do want an indicator that shows who has accepted work. From a My Work and Home perspective, there's also a distinction made between work items that you have accepted the assignment on, vs those that you haven't. I totally understand why you'd want this button removed from email if your group has chosen to indicate things differently. I think you might get more traction with Workfront suggesting the button be renamed more thoughtfully. -skye

Level 5
Hi Skye, Our designers and project managers have been using the Proof aspects only for the last year. We're just now onboarding our Campaign Managers, Project Managers and Creative team to Workfront Core, soon followed by other teams. The Work On It button is already confusing them and like I've seen in other posts makes them feel like there are too many steps in interacting with Workfront on the tasks and issues. Your feedback here is helpful in how I can describe it to them as an acknowledgment (will use that instead of acceptance) of the assigned work. This action is visible you mentioned, is it also reportable? Hybrid Newbie, Tammie Bouchard National Safety Council

Level 10
hey Tammie, I'm not familiar with all reporting aspects. I'm sure there are other options, but here is some experimentation you can do. In a task report, if you use the task "Assignments and Status" field as one of your columns, you'll see it listed there. The possible answers are Requested, Working, Done. You can also use an assignment report (it would be the assignment "Status" field, in that case). Compare this to the task "Status" field (i.e., put the two columns side by side). You can then see how the two fields interact. When the task is assigned: task status = New + assignment status = Requested When the user accepts the task (clicks work on it): task status = New + assignment status = Working When the user actually starts working (at this point, they should put the task status into In Progress, or change the percent complete on the task) task status = In Progress + assignment status = Working IF there are multiple users assigned to a task, and one of them is done (but the others are not), any worker can click "Done with my part". task status can stay whatever it is + the individual's assignment status = Done (even if the others are still in various states of Requested or Working) You can see that the intention was good: Workfront trying to provide an ability to distinguish between different stages of work. I agree with everyone that the nomenclature is a little clunky but frankly I'm afraid to suggest changes to naming at this point. ;-) -skye

Level 5
Hi Skye, Thanks for your consideration. The Work On It button serves teams who can pick up tasks and the tasks don't have dependencies, basically, it's for an agile work process. The issue is that we assign tasks to our users and have multiple dependencies, so when they get an email with a new task assignment and a huge orange Work on It button smack dab in the middle, what do they do but click on it. If the task was actually ready to work on this would be different but to get the email when the task is months from being ready is annoying. I did think of asking for the button to be renamed but as we've recently seen what has happened with the renaming of the "subject" line in the forms request and what a can of worms that opened up. So I decided to ask for the easiest solution for Workfront to implement which is to just remove the button from the email. Users should not get emails that have huge action buttons that is not ready for them to click on. It's just bad UI. Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology