Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Optional fields in a report

Level 2
Hi I've got a report that shows me all the notes from issues so that a user can see the whole history of the issues on their project. But now I have someone who just wants to see the latest update from each issue, and someone else that doesn't want any updates, just the issue details. Rather than have three reports (and then three for risks as well!), can you have a field when you run a report that allows you to choose what level of reporting you'd like? So the report would ask if you want none, latest or all updates from the issues?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Sue, This is what I would do... I'd go to Report Settings and check the box that says "Allow view to be changed on the report." Then when they run the report, they will see the View drop down and can easily pick a different view that they would like. You can even create the view for them and share it with them so they can easily get what they want. It does require an extra step on their part but it saves you from having to create several "versions" of the same report. Hope that is helpful.

Level 2
Thanks Anthony, thats a good idea, one I hadn't thought of. I'll give it a go! Sue

Level 7
I don't see how this would solve the original request though. Giving different view doesn't change the number of records (rows) to be displayed. so if you had a view that did not show any updates, you'd still get the rows listed, but with nothing else being shown, would you not. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

Level 10
You bring up a good point. I should clarify that my idea was based under the assumption it was an issue report. With that the issue is the line item and it sounded like everyone wanted to see the issues. It was just if people wanted to see just the issue description, the last note, or all the updates. If you use a Note report, it would be a combination of filters and views you would use. However, for the person who just wanted to see the issue description, they might see multiple descriptions. You'd have to play around with the filters a bit to get that part figured out.