Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Notifying Managers When Project Populates a Calendar

Level 7

Hi Workfront Community,

It’s been a long time since I have posted to the Community but have a recent issue that I was hoping someone may have a solution to. We have a Calendar that shows projects that have the custom form field “Is this a survey?” checked off. I have managers who proactively need to know when any one of these specific projects populates the Calendar. In essence, these managers need to be notified about these projects. As there is no notification for when items pop up on a Calendar, nor a notification when a specific custom form field is checked off, I am trying to figure this out. I can’t add them as project sponsors to the projects, as they do not need to be alerted to every project just the ones that have that custom field checked off.

Instead of having to remember to check the Calendar regularly, the managers want a way to be able to know about these specific projects ahead of time (i.e., when they show up on the Calendar). I know that the project owner can tag the managers in an update on the project to let them know, but that is one more thing to remember to do, and was looking for something more automatic. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Welcome back Terry,

If by ahead of time you mean at the time these Projects are created, and assuming the "Is this a survey?" check box will also be (properly) filled in at that time, I'd suggest you use a good ole Workfront report:

-- create a new Project Report with whatever view, sort, grouping, and even charting is of most use

-- on the filter, restrict it to Project Entry Date greater than $$NOW-1d (for example) AND "Is this a survey?"

-- on the Report Delivery tab, schedule the report to run once per day (optionally adding "Run As" credentials, to ensure all the data is being grabbed), and list those users to whom the report should be Delivered (e.g. at noon each day)

With this technique, the report effectively "watches" for those such filtered Projects that have come in within the last 24 hours and emails.

ONE CAVEAT: the report will be sent even when there is no data, which can lead to email fatigue (unless you can convince the readers that no news is good news, and therefore worth opening).

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Welcome back Terry,

If by ahead of time you mean at the time these Projects are created, and assuming the "Is this a survey?" check box will also be (properly) filled in at that time, I'd suggest you use a good ole Workfront report:

-- create a new Project Report with whatever view, sort, grouping, and even charting is of most use

-- on the filter, restrict it to Project Entry Date greater than $$NOW-1d (for example) AND "Is this a survey?"

-- on the Report Delivery tab, schedule the report to run once per day (optionally adding "Run As" credentials, to ensure all the data is being grabbed), and list those users to whom the report should be Delivered (e.g. at noon each day)

With this technique, the report effectively "watches" for those such filtered Projects that have come in within the last 24 hours and emails.

ONE CAVEAT: the report will be sent even when there is no data, which can lead to email fatigue (unless you can convince the readers that no news is good news, and therefore worth opening).

Regards,

Doug