Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Need advice on Workfront boards - which one do I use?

Level 2

Hello!

I have been asked to look into creating boards in Workfront but as I'm fairly new to the application, I'm not sure which type of board is best. I am seeking guidance on how to set up a board to ensure it supports our current workflow.

We use a scrum task board outside of Workfront to manage developer work in 2-week sprints; however, work is initiated within Workfront by project managers and we (the non-developer side of the web team) are assigned tasks. Tracking and viewing our tasks can be cumbersome to sort through as our tasks are usually a small part of a larger project. We are interested in seeing if boards are a good solution for us to track our assigned tasks within Workfront.

The biggest gray area for me is which board do I use? I have experimented with both Kanban and Dynamic boards and not sure which one is better suited for our needs. We would need intake of existing Workfront tasks, and I don't believe we need to establish iterations as we handle scrum outside of Workfront. Ultimately, we need to track when tasks are:
1) Ready to be worked on
2) In progress
3) Blocked/On-hold
4) Complete

I visualize a steady flow of cards moving across the board at any given time, and if needed, using tags to track sprint iteration.

Can I get some advice? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

I think from your description you may want to use the standard Kanban board, It has a built-in intake column which you can filter for the projects you want intake from. You can tag and sort, filter, etc. by tags, assignees, projects, statuses, due dates, etc. I think it's the most flexible for your situation.

You may want to try it with just a few simple projects at first until you get the hang of it.

Remember that Boards is a fledgling product and still has a way to go before before it's a mature and reliable means of organising work. That being said, we are using it for some smaller teams with success while the larger teams are experimenting with it with much less success.

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use.
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/mysocalledideas

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

I think from your description you may want to use the standard Kanban board, It has a built-in intake column which you can filter for the projects you want intake from. You can tag and sort, filter, etc. by tags, assignees, projects, statuses, due dates, etc. I think it's the most flexible for your situation.

You may want to try it with just a few simple projects at first until you get the hang of it.

Remember that Boards is a fledgling product and still has a way to go before before it's a mature and reliable means of organising work. That being said, we are using it for some smaller teams with success while the larger teams are experimenting with it with much less success.

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use.
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/mysocalledideas

Community Advisor

the last time I talked to anyone on Boards, they mentioned that Workstreams was the tool developed for scrum. So I would probably say Workstreams and Kanban boards, based on that. 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/agile/agile-planning-boards/manage-collectio...