Expand my Community achievements bar.

Must Finish On - How do you use it?

Level 10
Hi I am struggling with best practices and wonder how others use Must Finish On in a way that doesn't mess up the plans. Here is my situation. We plan everything from Completion Date, and that is the only Must Finish On date (it is our In Market date). All the other due dates in the project are ASAP and the durations set so that they are correctly calculating from that final date. There are 2 other dates within the schedule that are also very firm and only change if the Completion Date changes as they are connected to each other -- the Go to Printer date and the Mail Date -- the time at the printer is 12 days and no matter what , it doesn't ever move. The durations are set so that those always remain stable, even though they are ASAP. However, we had a recent situation where a project was changed at the last minute to be in market a week later. I changed the Must Finish On end/final date, but because so many of the tasks were complete (or other factors ?) the Mail Date re-calculated correctly but the Go to Printer date didn't go with the flow, and it was on the plan a week early, wreaking havoc across the land. It was requested that I make those 2 other "hard" dates (Mail Date; Go to Printer date) Must Finish On so that no matter what happens, those don't adjust,and if the In Market date does change, they have to be manually updated too. My contention is that you should watch those dates and make sure they don't move as they are clues that your project plan isn't correct but my staff isn't buying it and they want those hard dated so there is no chance they get missed. I don't have a good reason why not to do it, but instinctually I think it's wrong. Advice? Feedback? How do you manage something like this? Jill Ackerman
7 Replies

Level 10
You're correct, hard coding dates is not a best practice. I believe we've all debated this before here and everyone will have their own styles and opinions. For me, and project management "is my bag" (MSc in Project Management, PMP, and 18 years' experience), I avoid hard coding dates as much as possible (including the Completion Date). It's not a best practice because as Doug mentioned in another post, reality has other plans for your project and you want to be able to adjust accordingly and know what's happening to your plan and project at all times. When you hard code dates, as you stated you start having to manually change every task and understand it's relationship to others when the date changes. Thus there's risk you miss something and it's time consuming. If you have a predecessor laden plan (with little to no hard coded dates), the tool does that work for you, thus reducing the risk you missed something. There's still the risk something is wrong in the plan (as there always is), but less likely. A common fallacy is that people think a project plan should be written in stone and then not budge and you follow it as-is until the project is complete. That would be great. But that's simply not feasible. A project plan should be fluid. Every project, without exception, has changes (issues, missed deadlines, poor estimates, resource constraints, scope changes, etc.). It's just the nature of the beast. I can cite countless examples where people have said, "this date WILL NOT change" [fist banging on the desk – this was a personal favorite �� ]. You can guess what happened. As such, a PM's job is to anticipate and plan for changes (contingencies in their estimates etc.) as much as possible and keep their project plan accurate to reflect reality so they can adjust when necessary. This involves updating their plan at least weekly. This will then tell you where you're at and you and the Sponsors can make informed decisions when you have to adjust. This is not to say the end date always changes. This is to say task dates will always vary (they're estimates after all). So you want to be able to reflect reality and see what it does to your end date. If it doesn't move, cool. If it does, now you have an early warning and can more easily adjust some tasks in order to make your final end date. I'd also reconsider the whole working the project from the Completion Date method. I never personally found it productive to run the project from the completion date backwards. I've tried it twice and found it much more difficult, time consuming and mind numbing, with no payoff. Honestly I never heard someone say they loved doing that either (unless they had a manifesto in their closet). It's just more confusion and work than it's worth. Even if someone said they use it to determine when we should start the project. I still find it much easier and saner to just create the plan in a forward direction. If I use today as a start date (can't go further back than that �� ) I can then craft a plan to know the end date. If it's later than the desired end date, we can discuss and negotiate from there (which you would also have to do if you work it backwards just to discover you should have started 2 months ago). Essentially I can obtain the same answers in a much easier fashion by working it forward. I'll stop there as I could talk PM forever. I know. Some of you are saying, too late ��

Level 10
On the contrary, Vic: excellent dissertation! In fact, my thought as I read it was was "Hey: I think Vic might have just written the Forward to @Alex Shootman 's did-we-ever-name-it LEAP book." @Alison Milbury ? Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
LOL. Well if we're going for publishing, I'd have to throw in a few more Heretofore's, Thou's, & Thee's �� Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT Program Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 5
Sounds like it is still being deliberated. No decision on the book title yet. Alison Milbury Workfront Community Manager

Level 4
Jill, while I agree with everything Vic said, to be honest with you I think it is much more practical to just manually adjust the 3 dates as Must Finish On dates. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely not the "ideal" or "perfect world" scenario, but it's three dates. If putting a process in place that says "if you change the completion date, you must also change the other two dates" removes any chance for WF messing up your business because of another constraint that was improperly factored, someone taking a vacation day that then throws off the date, one of those tasks starting at 4:58PM thus 2 minutes showing up somewhere else suddenly turns it from a 1 day to a 2 day task, or a holiday making things incorrectly calculate, then just manually adjust them. Again, the system should be able to handle this but it sounds like you are in a very high pressure, dates make-or-break environment and in that kind of world I wouldn't take the chance. Jason Maust McGuireWoods LLP

Level 10
hey Jill, we have a similar thing going on with our Events projects. Our fixed date is the event itself (of course). This is set up as a task with Fixed Dates (event is from X date to Y date). Call this task number 1. A week before the event task, we need name badges, table tents, placecards, posters, etc. printed and mailed to the location. These "task sets" are all set up as ASAP. Predecessors for us are usually set up as waterfall (task 3 is dependent on task 2, task 4 is dependent on task 3), so now the exception is the first task kicking off the task set. That one is set up with a predecessor of " 1ss-number of days needed". (the number of days needed was kind of a trial and error thing because I'm not super great at math, but basically I add up all the days that all the tasks are taking, and then I think I put in an extra 5 business days) For us, this works. The events PM creates an events project with the template attached. They put in the event's fixed dates, and all the print dates immediately fall into line. It's kind of like magic. I do agree with Vic--the PM's job is to manage all the dates and keep an eye on them. But this was a way I could help my PMs not have to change as much--otherwise their projects are 100 tasks long and there are these 10 print dates they keep tweaking... :) so now all they have to do is double check those dates. There are also ways I could help them more, like offer to name the task something and create views where those tasks are highlighted so that they are easy to find. -skye

Level 10
I agree. If it's just three tasks we're talking about the easiest way is the best. I was assuming it was more widespread and ongoing and the three dates were just an example. And as Skye mentioned she's gotten the Finish On method to work for well them. So I'll have to amend my statement that I don't know anyone that uses that method �� . Now I do. So there's rarely a perfect answer that works for everyone. It's whatever's perfect for you. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT Program Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT