Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Looking for textmode for a column that counts parent tasks

Level 4

Hello!  I'm looking for text mode for a column on a project report that will count how many times there is a parent task that contains the word "Round."

In our templates we have rounds of revisions that have numbered parent tasks (Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, etc).  So for example if a project's task list has 3 parent tasks that have the word "Round" in it (such as Round 1, Round 2, Round 3), I want a column on a report that returns the number 3, to show a count of those.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Justin_Charles,

Your question reminded me of this similar answer I invented a while back, which I invite you to review for background, and then consider applying via something like this:

displayname=Number Of Parent Tasks Containing Round
listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=CONCAT(IF({numberOfChildren}>0,IF(CONTAINS("Round",{name}),"*",""),""))
valueformat=HTML

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 4

Hello @Justin_Charles 

Forgive me I'm on my phone so I can't do a full example however if they are parent tasks and not within a parent task you could use parentID is blank and then check for "Round"

This assume that the Round parents tasks are not within a Parent themselves. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Level 4

thanks for your reply scott.  however, the parent tasks with the word "round" are indeed within other parent tasks.

Level 4

bump!  anyone have expertise in this area?

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Justin_Charles,

Your question reminded me of this similar answer I invented a while back, which I invite you to review for background, and then consider applying via something like this:

displayname=Number Of Parent Tasks Containing Round
listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists
textmode=true
type=iterate
valueexpression=CONCAT(IF({numberOfChildren}>0,IF(CONTAINS("Round",{name}),"*",""),""))
valueformat=HTML

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug.  This successfully returns a count of stars for each round per project.  Is it possible to return a number instead of a star count?  So the number 5 instead of *****?  I'm able to do this in excel, but would be ideal to have it done within Workfront.

Thanks!

Hi @Justin_Charles,

I'm glad you got the ***** count going, but given Workfront's (As Designed) limitation of not allowing aggregations such as Count, Sum, Avg, etc. in iterations, that histogram approach is the closest technique I've come up with to illustrated such relative sizes using native reporting.

Now, if you'd consider using our Magic Reports solutions, on the other hand, the sky's the limit...

Regards,

Doug