Expand my Community achievements bar.

Linking Test cases to User Stories

Level 2
Hello, I am looking for some guidance or best practices of how others are creating test cases for their user stories. I am sure that I could create a series of sub tasks to directly tie them together, but I am trying to prevent the project view from getting cluttered with 2 or 3 levels of sub tasks. I appreciate your feedback! Ian Clem, PMP, SSM IT Project Manager New Benefits Dallas, Tx
3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Ian, I've used that approach and it worked very well: you can create a temporary filter where (for example) "WBS" (Work Breakdown Structure) "contains 5.1" to quickly restrict to the subset of tasks of interest at that time you can also create a temporary filter based on Indent (e.g. Indent = 0, Indent < 2, Indent < 3, etc) to quickly show only a certain depth of the subtasks by using tasks, you can use predecessors to assign them; and note dependencies; and specify planned duration; and schedule them; and raise issues; and all the other task related goodness we've come to rely upon you can also show the percent complete column and use it as an easily inline-edited and highly visual indicator of progress similarly, you can use the percent completes at the parent levels and even the entire project to show testing progress to repeat a battery of usecase tests, you can simply copy the project, reset the percent completes to zero, update the driving dates (I'd suggest ASAP otherwise so everything else just "adjusts") So...yeah: apparently I'm a fan of this approach. Good to know. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
I tend to listen to whatever Doug says �� . But we do it a slightly different way. We've done it by creating Issues attached to those Tasks. We have an Issue Type of Test Case/Result and created a custom form with all the Test Case fields we want (i.e. Test Case #, Scenario, Script, Expected Results, etc.). These will also just show up in your Issues tab for the Project if you want to see a list of all of them together. But you can create them in the Issues tab of the Task itself so you know which apply to a specific Testing Task. And you can create a View with the fields from the form (see attached). For Testing that is repeatable on a periodic basis, we also have created a list of Test Cases (Issues) to keep as a test bed. Then we just copy them to the project and we have a full list of test cases. In this instance they wouldn't be attached to the Tasks, but we would have the list to work when we're ready to test and similarly we could filter and show views of the test cases and results too. You can do this with Tasks or a template too if you use Doug's method.

Level 10
Very nice Vic, I can see how that approach would work well, too. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore