Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Last Note: Note Text versus Last Condition Note: Note Text

Level 10
Does anyone know if there is a big difference between these two? I compared them side-by-side and didn't see much difference but maybe something I am missing. Also, is there a way to report out the last three note updates rather than the most recent? Thank you. Thank you, Susan
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi: Last Condition Note is the last update note entered by the project owner. Last Note is the last note entered by anyone on the project. They would be the same if the Project Owner was the last person to send an update. Audit Text is information automatically entered by WorkFront. I don’t know how to report the last three notes entered, but there are plenty of Text Mode experts reading this right now who are thinking of a way ☺ Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi, Eric! Thank you for your quick response. Do you prefer using Note report for that type of reporting or is it best to use that function within a project or task report?

Level 10
Hi: I always report that stuff using a Note Report. We do have a couple of reports at the Project level, but they don’t get used much. I’m more of a fan of the Note report. I’d start there and then see if you need more information than they provide. I also occasionally do some text mode to look up the hierarchy from the Note report. Have at it, let us know what you learn. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
I noticed that with a Note report you are not able to bring in Last Condition Note or Last Note...just Note Text. However, when you do a task or project report you are able to have both Last Note types. Unless I am doing something wrong, which very well could be. :)

Level 5
You've got it. A note report, however, you can filter on the type. We've found over time that the condition note sounds great in theory, but can often lead to challenges if the PM (project owner) makes some sort of comment on the project that isn't really about the condition. We've taken to using a custom field called "PM Update" where the PM can place a new comment or update what's already there. The only problem is that you don't have the automated timestamp available with it like you do for the condition note.

Level 10
Marty - interestingly enough, we added a custom attribute to fulfill the exact same function as your “PM Update”. We put the date in each update. We don’t count on the Last Condition Note. Sometimes a Project Admin, not the Project Owner, makes the administrative updates to the plan, so using Last Condition Note wouldn’t work for us. ☺

Level 7
Yes, we also use a custom field for a PM Update and put the date in the update. We also have the field set to display changes in audit update so we see when the changes were made.

Level 6
Just a thought….. it would be nice to have a table of all these ‘text’ and ‘update’ fields explaining which shows what information. :) Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image002.png@01D23438.139E4C80]

Level 10
Can you share your steps on creating a custom PM field? Thank you.

Level 7
Just go to "Setup"/Custom Forms and create one. We use the Paragraph Text Field.