Expand my Community achievements bar.

Issue Hours - chargeable?

Level 6
I believe you can't make hours logged on an issue on a project chargeable but I just wanted to double check. I imagine you need to convert the issue to a task to be able to make those hours billable? Thanks
8 Replies

Level 7
Yes, if you set up Billing Rates, and you use "billable" hour types, the hours against Issues will have revenue associated with them.

Level 6
Hi Greg What do you mean by 'Billing Rates'? Are you referring to an expense type? All our hour types count as revenue so that concurs with the second part I believe. I noticed that when running an hour report that is grouped by 'Revenue Type' that I end up with a few entries grouped by 'no value' - the rest are correctly categorised as 'Not Billable' or 'User Hourly'. That's why I posted this question because I realised all the entries that were under 'no value' were hours logged against issues. Thanks ________________________________

Level 7
When you are on the Project Level, it's probably under your "More" tab - look for Billing Rates. Here you enter a Role and a billing rate so anyone that has that role and enters billable time will be billed (revenue) at that rate.

Level 6
Ok, we don't currently use billing rates and attach them to a role but rather just rely on an individual task being marked as billable through the revenue type and each user having a rate set in their profile. If we added the billing rates though, how would that affect our current setup for billing? We originally told all users not to log time on an issue or for the project owner to convert the issue to a task so hours could be added that way. Thanks

Level 7
When you ask, how would it affect our current setup for billing, I'm not sure what you mean and I don't know how your billing is setup, but I don't think it will affect it.

Level 6
Would help for me to explain eh! We create billing records on any chargeable projects and we pull in project owner approved hours as well as any expenses added into the billing records. The finance manager then has a report showing him what needs charging out and he takes it from there. If we start using billing rates so that hours on issues can be added to the billing records, does that conflict with the the users individual hourly rate? Everyone is setup with either a £40 per hour or £47 per hour rate in both cost and revenue. We don't set different revenue rates because we're a department within a business. ________________________________

Level 7
Well, I'm not an expert in this area, but it sounds like to me that if you want to include the Issue hours in your billing, that you'd create a billing rate record for each role type that is on the project and set the rate to 40/hr (or 47/hr). (then test :-))

Level 6
Good idea, I will test it out. Thanks Greg :) ________________________________