Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is there any way for generated "history" fields to be editable?

Level 4

We have a number of fields for historical info - if a field is updated it automatically adds the info to the "history" fields. However, these fields also capture when the text is edited (spelling, punctuation etc) or when something is entered incorrectly. I'd love as an Admin to be able to clean them up. Is this at all possible without creating another manual field or some workaround? (We have tens of thousands of Projects - manual would be too much work).

Thank you!

2 Replies

Community Advisor

If you are talking about "tracked" fields (whenever a field's value is changed, the system notes that change in the object's update stream), then the answer is "no." 

The function of tracked fields is to enable auditing. If users - even if limited to admins only - had the ability to delete or edit these entries, that would weaken the integrity of the platform because there's no guarantee that someone can't go back and cover their tracks by changing or removing an entry. So even if a user has good intentions (only fixed a typo in the field and they don't want to clutter the update stream), allowing them to edit or delete the system-generated update would mean the audit history cannot be trusted and defeats the purpose of tracking those fields.

If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 4

That does make sense. But as these fields were set up in the old text box way with the smaller character count limit, it's something that can get problematic. Thank you!!