Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

is there a way to change a custom field type once you already apply it to a custom form?

Level 1
is there a way to change a custom field type once you already apply it to a custom form?
2 Replies

Level 10
Nope. You have to create a new attribute of the type you want. Sorry! Eric

Level 10
To worsen Eric's bad news, particularly if this is a parameter that's been around for some time and has data in it, I'd recommend you: edit a custom form on which the parameter is used rename the old parameter (e.g. myparameter_old) save (and close) the form to make that "stick" reopen the form create the new parameter (e.g. myparameter) with the correct data type beside the _old parameter save the form edit every form that uses the parameter and add the new (myparameter) beside the old (myparameter_old) create a view that shows both new and old, and group by custom form, by myparameter_old value for each block of each custom form / myparameter_old value, CAREFULLY bulk update myparameter to match if you have so much data (or the values are so varied) that this approach takes too long, consider using our Excel Updater solution to save time once all new values are updated CAREFULLY delete the myparameter_old parameter confirm all your filters, views, reports, groupings and sorts still work using the new myparameter and adjust them as necessary until they do TIP: if you are not certain where myparameter is used, consider running our Report all Report Details solution first, which will highlight that impact analaysis in advance (in Excel), which you can then use as a working copy to guide your cross checking and testing For future reference, it seems to be "the presence of data entered anywhere" that Workfront uses to then deny the ability to change the datatype. In rare (and perhaps dubious) cases, I think I have been able to convert certain combinations (e.g. Numberic to Currency), but not in quite some time, so I am no longer certain. Good luck with it! Regards, Doug