Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Is it possible to add comments/updates to a project directly from a report?

Level 3

I'm trying to simplify steps for one of my team members, I've created a task report for her so all same tasks are in one place and she can mark 100% from the report, but she also needs to add comments to the project for multiple people to see. Currently she has to go into each project individually.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi Mary,

Although that is an efficient (and longstanding) suggestion, the current in-line editing functionality only allows updates to the “base” object (eg Tasks, on a Task report), so until that changes (@Matt Thomas‚ ?), I believe the way you are doing it (ie opening each Project) is necessary.

Regards,

Doug

Hi Mary (and Doug),

The only minor trick I have there is to add the Project: Status Icons column to the Task report. That would allow her to click the 'Note' icon to be taken directly to the Project Update page. Not fully ideal, but the least number of clicks.

Katherine

Nice tip Katherine,

For Best Results (however one chooses to open the Project while reviewing a Task report), I’d also recommend holding down the [Ctrl] key while clicking the Project status icon (or hyperlink), so that the Project then opens in a separate browser tab without losing your place on the Task list.

Side note...Chrome recently started opening such “background tabs” in the foreground by default, citing the “you clicked it, so you must want to see it (now)” rationale. As I often [Ctrl] click multiple rows in succession, however ‚Äî since “I clicked LOTS of them, but want to deal with them as a set (later)” ‚Äî I installed a Chrome plugin that returns the original background tab behavior.

Regards,

Doug

@Doug Den Hoed‚ is hinting to some of the advancements that are coming to in-line editing with our much larger reporting initiative. @Mary Fox‚, I would love to chat with you and see if what we are planning will solve your pain point. Feel free to schedule some time with me, thanks! https://calendly.com/matt-thomas-wf/30min

Level 8

Mary,

We use a custom field called 'Notes and Comments' on all of our projects. I pull that field into task reports to users can 'make updates' on the project from the report. However, these updates don't work like the standard update field. i.e. you can't tag users, notifications don't trigger, etc.

But it works well for our use case.

Level 3

That sounds like a great work around! In this instance, the user does need to @mention people so it won't work, but I might try for other uses.

Thank you!