Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Importing Issues using Kick-Starts

Level 1
Hi Everyone, It is the time of year where all next years issues have to be put in to Workfront. I have a (large) list of requests on a spreadsheet and I would like to use this as a basis for importing in to Workfront. I have downloaded the Issue .xlsx format template from the Kick-Starts Import Data page and there are 73 fields to complete, but which ones are mandatory and where can I find a map of the template fields to the issue screen field? Can I also populate any custom form fields as well? Has anyone successfully done this or point me in the direction of instructions of how to use this facility? Kind Regards Martyn Rattray Portfolio Planning Lead
12 Replies

Level 10
Hi: I've done this a lot. What I do is export all issues to a file. Then I delete all of those issues but a few. Those few give me a template for inserting all of my new issues. That is how I know what is mandatory and what maps to what. Does that help at all? Eric

Level 7
Hi Martyn, If you export a blank kick-start file with issues as the selected object, you can open it and you'll find several of the fields are bolded. Those are the required fields. Off the top of my head, here are a few that come to mind: isTrue | ID | setName | setOpTaskType (this one is if it's a REQ, ISS, etc) | setWork (pln hrs or duration, can't remember) The rest are fields that can be filled out, but aren't necessarily required. The ID would be the ID that you're entering the object as in the list in the excel sheet (row 3 = id 1, row 4 = id 2, row 5 = id 3 etc...) It's just to ensure that the object is unique. I hope this helps! If you get stuck, I'd ask you to reach out to our Customer Care team so they can open a request and send it over to our Support team. Thanks, Dustin Martin Tier 2 Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Level 1
Thanks Eric, Dustin, It helps a lot. Kind Regards Martyn Rattray Portfolio Planning Lead

Level 4
In every kickstart the first 2 columns IsNew and ID are always mandatory, the next few columns are usually bolded and are also mandatory. All of the rest of the columns are optional and can be deleted. Custom data can be added by using the syntax DE:Custom Field Name Where Custom Field Name is your field name. Note that any punctuation in the fields names tend to cause problems and may need to be temporarily removed for the import. A- isNew - Should be TRUE for all lines, if your import fails part way through you can set the value to FALSE for lines that successfully import since you can't have duplicate values B- ID - This should be a sequence of unique numbers Finally copy everything and paste special as values. Formulas will cause an error on import Final Review: Row 1 is blank Row 2 is headers Row 3 starts your data Your worksheet is called the exact name from the export such as POPT Parameter Option There are no other worksheets Save your file Go to setup, System, Kick-Starts, Import Data Select your file Import Read any errors carefully paying attention to the row number Frequent Errors Duplicate Values - Each value must be unique Crazy Characters in your data Blanks Missing required fields If your data failed after row 1, set all the successful rows to isNew = False before attempting to reimport. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com Helpful? Buy me a coffee: https://www.patreon.com/mlayten - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 4
Posting this to the discussion - I sent Lucas this note: Lucas-- Have you been able to work out a way to import custom form data, as well? I'm wondering if there is a way to add columns of form data to the kick-start sheet. As I review the worksheet, we will be able to get a lot of our JIRA data into Workfront, but some of that data will live in custom forms for each issue. I'd prefer not to have to manually update a bunch of issues. Cheers, Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.

Level 10
Hi This is very helpful as I'm about to do this for the first time. I would like to be able to add 4 to 6 Interactive Proof/URL's to each Issue that I import and have it create a new proof for each issue at the same time. Is that possible? Jill Ackerman

Level 2
Martyn, In addition to the great guidance shared by others I'll add the steps to import custom data in your kickstart. 1. Fill in the category ID in the "setCategoryID" column. The Category ID is the ID of the custom form you want to attach to the issue on import. You can find it by creating a Category Report that shows the ID field and copying the ID of the form you want. 2. On the far right of your import, in the first blank column, add the following header: "DE:Custom Field Name". It has to exactly match the name of the field where you want to put the data. Repeat this for as many fields as you want to import data for. 3. In each "DE: " column fill in the data you want to enter into that field on the issue custom form. For fields that are drop down, multi select, radio button, checkbox, etc. the values you enter in your kickstart must exactly match the values in Workfront. 4. Import the kickstart and see if it worked! Obviously try it on a couple test imports before you do a long list. tagging @Greg Troester @Lucas Eric Cory Anderson Cisco Systems- Communication Services

Level 3
Hello! I am brand new to kick-starts and I think the above information is what I need except I have 100 issue entries that will have custom fields for 1 or 2 forms. How do I represent that in 1 excel row? I see in Cory's example above "setCategoryID" is the column where I put the Form name. But how to do 2 forms? Also - do I have to put the custom field columns in the order they appear in the Form(s)? I'm guessing no but just checking. --------------------- A quick side question - is it possible to pull batches of fields into a report rather than 1 field at a time? Also related to this particular request queue's 2 forms. (total is maybe 100 fields) Thanks in advance! Tina Tina Huang Optum

Level 10
Excuse me if this has been said, but I've found it very helpful for Kick Starts to download the existing fields that have already been used and are populated, and then use that as the template for the upload of new data. You should be able to see which fields are being used for which data inputs and follow that for your other 100 rows for upload.

Community Advisor
I tried exporting issues and taking a look at some that have multiple custom forms on them. Unfortunately it only seems to give me the first form listed on the issue. I suspect to include data for multiple custom forms you would need to use the Issue tab of the kickstart for the main issue data. Then a second form for the custom form data, listing each form on a separate line and referencing back to which link on the Issue tab, that form should go on, if that makes sense. I'm just not sure which option you'd select when downloading the blank kickstart spreadsheet to get the tab that you'd put your form data on. Alternately, if you're lucky enough that the fields you want to include are ONLY on those 1 or 2 forms, I believe (not 100% positive on this, but worth a try) you could skip the "setCategoryID" column and leave that blank and it would pull in just those forms that your fields are on.

Level 3
I created 1 Super Form that had all of the fields across multiple forms. Patricia Greene JLL

Level 3
@Jill Ackerman @Heather Kulbacki @Patricia Greene Hi Jill, Heather, Patricia - Thanks so much for responding to my questions! I will start testing in the sandbox and try the different methods you all have suggested. Checking on the side note/reporting question... do you know if one can batch add custom fields to an Issue Report? Another individual on our team is working on the report side of this task (and I'll be using an export as reference for this kick-start project as well) Tina Tina Huang Optum