Expand my Community achievements bar.

Import Kickstart Data on Custom Forms

Level 4

Hi everyone. I am migrating data from another system to Workfront. There are some custom fields that I need to import that are on a custom form. I've successfully imported project and template data, but nothing for custom forms. What, if possible, is the best way to go about doing this?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi Leif,

Custom data can be added as columns on insert via kickstarts, but our Excel Updater solution can update existing data (and insert), which might be better for you, since you’ve already inserted your Projects.

For Templates, you could also bulk update them to attach the (empty) forms.

Regards,

Doug

Level 4

Thanks for that tip. I will be looking this up. One thing, would it have been possible to insert all that custom data on insert had I not already imported the projects?

Level 10
Correct Leif, If you haven’t made any edits you care about, you could delete them and then reinsert, but this time, with the custom data. Regards, Doug

Now I'm not seeing where the custom form data would go in the import for the project. Maybe I'm missing something.

Level 7

It's a little bit of a tangent, and won't help in all situations but if you've got a form attached already and you want to put the SAME data on multiple projects at once, you can do that. It's a little more manual than an import, but if the horse is already out of the barn, it might be the next best option.

I've done that when we've decided on a new form element, and wanted to populate the data backwards on all existing projects. If you get creative with item-level reporting to isolate all the forms you want to modify at once, you can "Edit" multiple items at once to access the form across all of them. It will only be useful if you want to put the SAME data on all of those forms, or at least in certain elements but might speed up the data entry some.

Employee

Just because this is a recent question, if you have more questions about the ways you can leverage kickstarts, you could ask Alex Smith https://one.workfront.com/s/question/0D50z00006ZbjyP/leap-session-qa-leveraging-kickstarts-within-wo... who presented on this at Leap this year. He's just started the thread above to answer any questions you might have!

Level 2

Hello Team,

Any idea what value has to be entered into "Rich Text Fields" while performing an Issue Kickstart upload.

We tried both normal paragraph version text (with bold, italics, bullets) & HTML script for the same, but it does not seem to accept that.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nidhin