Expand my Community achievements bar.

Impact of Reducing User License with an API Associated to the Profile

Level 1
Hi - We have several users in our instance with Plan licenses and those users have APIs created under their profile. I'm trying to discern what would happen to the API if I reduce the license to Work or Review. Will the API break? Thanks in advance! Tiffany Tiffany Miller Microsoft - Office & Cloud
5 Replies

Level 6
Hi Tiffany, It will break if your API utilization still needs to do plan license functionality (like create a project etc.) API calls are tied a user, so it inherits all the same rights as that user (so basically anything they can do through the user interface, they can do through the API and inversely anything they don't have permission to do in the UI won't have permission on the API). I'm a pretty new user and haven't fully experimented with API behaviors yet, so one of the more seasoned folks might have something to add. Sean

Level 8
Most organisations using API create a specific user with Planner permissions that no-one logs in as, and all APIs use the same credentials. Do you need these to be run under different people? Barry Buchanan - WMA Work Management Australia

Level 10
That's how we do it as well. One Planner licensed user called 'Admin User'. The user name is important as it'll show in the updates.

Level 10
We also use service accounts for API users. We grant those service accounts to the body of work through group affiliations. Between the sharing and the access level, we just make sure the service account has the right level to perform the actions, as Sean described above. Thanks, Narayan Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions

Level 10
Seconding this...it's very useful for users to be able to see in the Updates tab, which actions were taken by the API vs real users. David Cornwell