Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

I just created a new team, how do I grant them automatic access to contribute on templates created?

Level 4

This was already setup by someone before, but that person left. Essentially we have templates set up with permissions that when created certain people/teams automatically receive contribute access.

I just created a new team and cannot find a way to add them to this permission set. I've looked at the templates and access levels.

Reference: https://prnt.sc/terouv

Thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Narothnee,

Definitely a web of different options in security there. Let's see if we can get you pointed in the right direction.

To clarify what you're trying to do:

1. From an existing template, give a new Team permission to USE the template to create projects from it?
  2. From an existing template, give a new Team Contribute access to projects created FROM the template?

For #1, you'd be in the 'Template Sharing' pane which you can access from each individual template. From there you can grant security to use a template to a single user, team, group or company. When you add them, they'll get 'View' access, so they can create new projects but not make any changes to the template. If you say 'Manage', then they can do a lot more (including delete the template, so be careful in the Advanced Settings there to turn that off!).

For #2, you'd be in the 'Project Sharing' pane which you are showing in your screenshot. You have the same person/team/group etc options there and can then select View/Contribute/Manage by clicking the arrow next to those words and selecting the option you want. Additional refinements are also then available under 'Advanced Settings' and I recommend becoming familiar with them to prevent accidents.

If those don't help, can you elaborate more on what you're trying to accomplish?

One other admin suggestion in my screenshot - that shows the standard Template View that we have set-up. It contains a column for 'Who created this? and "Who can See This?" which aids me in fast troubleshooting when someone says they can't see a template. Sadly, there is no way to add a column for 'Who can see projects from this?' yet - I already asked Support on that one.

Katherine

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi Narothnee,

Definitely a web of different options in security there. Let's see if we can get you pointed in the right direction.

To clarify what you're trying to do:

1. From an existing template, give a new Team permission to USE the template to create projects from it?
  2. From an existing template, give a new Team Contribute access to projects created FROM the template?

For #1, you'd be in the 'Template Sharing' pane which you can access from each individual template. From there you can grant security to use a template to a single user, team, group or company. When you add them, they'll get 'View' access, so they can create new projects but not make any changes to the template. If you say 'Manage', then they can do a lot more (including delete the template, so be careful in the Advanced Settings there to turn that off!).

For #2, you'd be in the 'Project Sharing' pane which you are showing in your screenshot. You have the same person/team/group etc options there and can then select View/Contribute/Manage by clicking the arrow next to those words and selecting the option you want. Additional refinements are also then available under 'Advanced Settings' and I recommend becoming familiar with them to prevent accidents.

If those don't help, can you elaborate more on what you're trying to accomplish?

One other admin suggestion in my screenshot - that shows the standard Template View that we have set-up. It contains a column for 'Who created this? and "Who can See This?" which aids me in fast troubleshooting when someone says they can't see a template. Sadly, there is no way to add a column for 'Who can see projects from this?' yet - I already asked Support on that one.

Katherine

Level 4

Hi Katherine,

Thank you very much! It was a bit unclear in workfront how the sharing would work, but my issue was resolved with #2 in project sharing when editing the templates!!

I was so blind, but essentially I wanted certain teams to have access to certain types of projects when created.

Much appreciated for the explanation.