Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

I have a somewhat complicated scenario where I request some text mode help, if this is even possible...

Level 5

Our Creative Services team takes in work via requests, then converts requests into project. They do not give access to the requestor to the project. In order to retain who the original requestor was in a project listing report, we have the following formula to capture the "Requested By" name:

displayname=Requested By

linkedname=portfolio

namekey=view.relatedcolumn

namekeyargkey.0=convertedOpTask

namekeyargkey.1=owner

namekeyargkey.2=name

querysort=convertedOpTask:owner:name

textmode=true

valuefield=convertedOpTask:owner:name

valueformat=HTML

The team is now looking to actually take that request, and convert to multiple projects based on the deliverables of the request (ie, one project for the timeline for cans, one project for the timeline for cartons). It's not possible to convert one request into multiple projects. What they've done is convert the request into a project for cans, then create a copy and build out the timeline for cartons. We lose the information of who requested the information that way, since now that new copied project isn't linked to a request. Is there a text mode that we could add here to say "if this project was copied, display the Requested By name of the original project"?

Thank you for your help!

Olivia

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Olivia,

The best way to achieve this is to capture the owner name of the intital request in a custom field on the request form. You can then copy the value of this field over onto the subsequent project that is created from the initital conversion, and then onto any additional projects that are created by copying.

First start by adding a calculated field to your request form. Lets call the field 'Requesters Name' and use the code 'Owner.Name' in the calculation. This will automatically calculate the name of the person that created the request.

Then create a copy of your request form and associated it with the project object type. Go into the newly created form and navigate to the 'Requesters Name' field where you will notice that the code 'Owner.Name' will have dissapeared from the calculation logic. Enter 'Requesters Name' into the calculation logic. (Note that Owner.Name on a project custom form will return the project owner, not the request owner. So instead we have to tell the field to reference itself so that the data from the request form copies over successfully)

The next time that you convert a request into a project, ensure that you attach the project version of the request form (that you created above) during the conversion process. You will then find that all data from the request form will be copied over onto the project. The data will also carry over onto any subsequent copies of the project that you create so long as you dont select 'clear custom data' during the copying process.

Going forward you will then be able to reference 'Requesters Name' in your reports.

I hope that's clear and makes sense! Please shout if I can help any further.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Olivia,

The best way to achieve this is to capture the owner name of the intital request in a custom field on the request form. You can then copy the value of this field over onto the subsequent project that is created from the initital conversion, and then onto any additional projects that are created by copying.

First start by adding a calculated field to your request form. Lets call the field 'Requesters Name' and use the code 'Owner.Name' in the calculation. This will automatically calculate the name of the person that created the request.

Then create a copy of your request form and associated it with the project object type. Go into the newly created form and navigate to the 'Requesters Name' field where you will notice that the code 'Owner.Name' will have dissapeared from the calculation logic. Enter 'Requesters Name' into the calculation logic. (Note that Owner.Name on a project custom form will return the project owner, not the request owner. So instead we have to tell the field to reference itself so that the data from the request form copies over successfully)

The next time that you convert a request into a project, ensure that you attach the project version of the request form (that you created above) during the conversion process. You will then find that all data from the request form will be copied over onto the project. The data will also carry over onto any subsequent copies of the project that you create so long as you dont select 'clear custom data' during the copying process.

Going forward you will then be able to reference 'Requesters Name' in your reports.

I hope that's clear and makes sense! Please shout if I can help any further.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 5

Thanks for this, Rich! This is still a bit over my head but I gave it a shot earlier today, and made what I think is a bit of progress. I will keep at this with your suggestions. Much appreciated! Have a great weekend ~ Olivia