Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to view a current projects report list as a Kanban board

Level 1
I'm a studio/traffic manager overseeing a team of creatives with over x80 projects. We've created a report which lists all of the projects so we have an overview of them. Is it possible at all to view this report as a Kanban board? Thx V Victoria Ollerton PA Consulting
11 Replies

Level 2

Hi Victoria. Were you able to find a way to do this to see projects naturally in a kanban board? We’re kicking around different ways to view our portfolio and wanted to see how people respond to a kanban board if that helps them to view the programs / projects going on.

Level 3

Hi Tim, no unfortunately I didn't find a solution to this. We're still just viewing a long project list. Vic

Level 2

Hi Victoria. Yeah, we’re in a bit of a same bucket. We’re experimenting with creating a project to house an inventory of projects and then from a task level to kanban board (the task acts as the project) so we’ll see how that goes. I’m also looking into Analytics to try out some items there since it has status elements involved. I’ll add it the suggestions area, maybe people will up vote it. :). Thanks for the reply back. If I come up with anything, I’m happy to share it your way.

Employee

Hey Tim!

I'm not sure this will totally help, but we have an @Agile Conversation‚ group to discuss things like kanban boards and the best ways to use them. Maybe you want to post something there and see if someone has any ideas?

Kyna

Former Community Member

Hey @Victoria Ollerton‚! This is a great questions - but currently you cannot build a Kanban view using the project object on the board itself. I have used reporting groups (on status like the Kanban board) to get similar information. I also will include the status field in the columns so I can quickly move project between groups. However, we are currently building new Kanban functionality like this and it is on our roadmap!

Level 3

Hi @Victoria Ollerton‚ and @Tim Greek‚ - it would help me to know what kinds of problems are you trying to solve by using the kanban board. Like, are you trying to see the overview of the work in flight, the more specific state that the work is in, priority, other? Thanks!

Level 2

Hi Melissa,

For me, I’d like to see projects at a card view and to get simple status of where a project is at and inclusive of some of the items you’re mentioning. I can do it at the report level and use system and custom fields and conditions, and sometimes even some cross object items that play into that, but resources like kanban in my org so seeing originally if the functionality existed.

Honestly, I’d be fine also with the portfolio optimizer but that feature / functionality from what I see needs some love.

Level 1

I would also be very interest in this ... otherwise I was hoping to get some where with the who Parent/Child project discussion however that is still farther down the road... please let me know if there are other discussion on Portfolio Management as I am still stuck exporting to excel and manually manipulating... lots of work and easy to make errors... and hard to keep up to date...

Level 2

Agreed. I would love to see this option as well. We have at least 189 active projects right now, but they're segmented between on-going support projects (for ad hoc work, content updates for our intranet, etc.) and projects for events and feature updates for our content sites. I would like to see the ability to create a Kanban board using the project object type to see our projects for unique deliverables. Using the task object at the moment, we either select a single task to include it as the "project," or we have all of them on the board.

Level 3

Hi Doug, I submitted this request as an idea to the Innovation Lab over two years ago but it didn't get enough votes to be developed unfortunately. I'm going to speak to the helpdesk as it's really annoying not being able to view all projects together in an easy visual way eg Kanban.

Could do this manually and create a project and have the tasks as project titles but that just seems crazy and time consuming as currently have over a hundred individual projects.

Level 2

Thank you! I'll look for it and upvote it. This is a major pain point for us.