Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

how to filter for tasks in a project that are created from an issue on the project

Level 1
tasks can be created when you type an update to an issue. We would like to use it to create and log tasks within an issue. However I could not find a way to create a report that would just filter for these tasks that are created from the issue - thread.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 4
In the new task's Description Field there will be the statement " Task created from "https://christiancareministry.attask-ondemand.com/issue/view?ID=5751e1da0009940a3f117b5c5502f15b&activeTab=tab-issue-updates" http ....blah, blah, blah.". You can set a filter on the report to only show tasks whose Description contains those words (see attached pictures) ;p

Level 1
Thanks that was really helpful. Is there a way to group the tasks by the issue they were created from. Since the description field is so long and takes the entire url with the note, i am not able to sort the tasks by issues. Do you know of a way to parse the issue id and use that as a column in the report or as a group by?

Level 7
Wait, I don't get that. What is the process to get the "Task create..." in the task description? If I go to an Issue, and choose "Convert to Task", I don't see that text in the description field. What am I doing differently or what setup needs to happen? Thanks.

Level 4
Hi Greg, I'm afraid I do not know what you are doing differently. I am opening the Issue then going to Issue Actions>Convert to Task>enter the Project name>Save Changes. Then, if I open the new task in the project, that text is in the description, per the picture I posted above. Cheers, Phil

Level 1
See below the snapshot of how we are creating tasks as part of the request via updates tab

Level 1
Hi Phil - would really help if you know of a way to sort these tasks by issue. Let me know if you could think of a way. Best Regards Hemin

Level 7
Aha! That's it - you are not converting an Issue to a task, but creating a task from the update - thanks for the clarification - and yes, mine does the same.

Level 7
That's an interesting question. If you converted the Issue to a Task, then it would have a "resolvable object" associated with it so the system knows from which issue it came from. When you create a task from an Issue Update , then I'm not sure it does. A dirty way to do it, is to Group by Description. Then if you have created several tasks from different updates on an issue, they would be grouped together, but that would be ugly. You mentioned Group before, and then Sort more recently. To sort of course, you could display the description and make that the sortable column. Now lets wait for someone who knows it better to respond with a much better solution! :-)

Level 10
Hi Greg, I checked the API explorer at https://developers.workfront.com/api-docs/api-explorer but don't see any likely candidates that might reference back to yhe originating Update of a converted Task (from an Update), as far as Grouping and Sorting goes. Your Dirty Trick might be As Good As It Gets. Regards, Doug