Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to create team projects that link up to a master project

Level 1

I’m familiar with using Smartsheet and Jira, where each team has its own project linked to a master project. Currently, I’m working on a project where all teams are in a single, shared project, which makes it challenging to generate status reports for my team specifically.

Could someone direct me to a tutorial or resources on setting up Workfront so that each team has its own project linked to a master project? I’d also like to understand how to manage dependencies between these projects.

Thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't think there's one right answer to this. 3 that come to mind (outside of any fusion solutions):

1) your "master" project (if it's ok with you, I'm going to call these "MAIN" projects) could be a program, and your team projects could all share the same program (this gets old pretty quickly if you have a zillion programs all with 2 projects in them)

2) your main project could contain Team issues and you could convert each issue to its own project https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/issues/convert-issues/convert...

This is the classic solution and allows you to reference a main project and see the team projects linked to it as well as reference the team projects and trace back to the main.

3) Everything could be unlinked, and you could have an external look up field or typeahead field in the team projects that references the main projects, and use this as a way to help manage the team projects... there's no way to look in the main and see what team projects there are, you would have to do everything by reporting.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't think there's one right answer to this. 3 that come to mind (outside of any fusion solutions):

1) your "master" project (if it's ok with you, I'm going to call these "MAIN" projects) could be a program, and your team projects could all share the same program (this gets old pretty quickly if you have a zillion programs all with 2 projects in them)

2) your main project could contain Team issues and you could convert each issue to its own project https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/issues/convert-issues/convert...

This is the classic solution and allows you to reference a main project and see the team projects linked to it as well as reference the team projects and trace back to the main.

3) Everything could be unlinked, and you could have an external look up field or typeahead field in the team projects that references the main projects, and use this as a way to help manage the team projects... there's no way to look in the main and see what team projects there are, you would have to do everything by reporting.

Level 1

I think #2, creating a main project that has issues is the way to go. I'll look into that.

Thank you for the link!