Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

How to create Master --> sub project relationships

Level 4

Hi I am wondering if someone can show me how to create master project -> sub project relationship. We generally have a master project timeline that multiple teams track against, but have their own internal timelines to meet tasks... We are on the New Workfront Experience. How do I handle this so that my project managers don't go crazy with building large project timelines to accommodate individual team's needs.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

Hi Naushin,

You can create dependencies and timeline relationships between tasks on different projects through the use of cross project predecessors. There is a great article on Workfront One here with instructions on how to do this

If you have rather large projects containing a lot of tasks, you could break them down into sub projects that contain the respective teams tasks so that they can self maintain the lower task level detail. Predecessor relationships can then be built between the projects so that the dates of predecessor tasks will impact the dates (and overall timeline) of the successor tasks. I'm not sure if this meets your overall requirements but this would be a way of creating a timeline relationship between your projects.

Where applicable, I would also recommend grouping the related projects into a program so that they are organised and easily reportable.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.