Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

How do you include prompt values within the report title or body?

Level 2
For example, I have a report that with a prompt that allows you to filter the hours by date range, I'd like the selected range to be included - e.g., Hours by Task ~~~Last Week~~~ is this possilbe? Thx Al
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

11 Replies

Level 8
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but I think you know how to use prompts, but want to control the options a user can enter, rather than present a huge list of open ended options. If that's correct, I've uploaded a document with a custom prompt we use that restricts users to timesheet data from two weeks ago, last week or this week. (They should be running the report on Friday arvo each week using 'this week', but for those that are late they can run it Monday using 'last week'. 'Two weeks ago' is a safety net and very rarely used for comparison).

Level 10
That is an elegant solution, Barry. Neat. I hadn't seen that done before. I tried to do what Al was looking for once, and couldn't figure it out. There was no forum like this at the time, so I was stuck. Al - Does this help? If not, let us know, we'll take another pass at your question. Eric

Level 10
Hi Al, I'm not aware of any way to get the prompt selection to be part of the heading etc, sorry! Sounds like a good topic for a feature request. Cheers, David

Level 2
Barry - I am not permitted to open that link…

Level 2
Barry - neat solution to limit the options... what I'd like is to have the name of the chosen option (e.g., `last week`) actually appear somewhere in the body/header (any where?!?) of the report. You can product pretty graphs & tables but the value is diminshed unless you know the context of the data - e.g., from your custom filter, am I looking results from this week? last week? prior?

Level 8
Ahhhhh. From me it's a no-can-do but if someone else can crack it, that would be FANTASTIC. In the interest of crossing off the list, I tried just adding a column at the start of the report concatinating the minimum and maximum date values of the field I was prompting on CONCAT(STRING(DMIN({entryDate}))," - ",STRING(DMAX({entryDate}))) Unfortunately this just returned the minimum and maximum of the individual row. I also tried an aggregator function aggregator.displayformat=HTML aggregator.namekey=entryDate aggregator.function=MIN aggregator.valuefield=entryDate Again, it aggregated the row and not the report. Over to someone cleverer than me!

Level 10
I have to say how humbling it is to read posts like this. I envy the text mode skill I see on this forum. There are no text mode manuals, no text mode debuggers, no data dictionary to know what anything is. I stand in awe. Eric

Level 9
This might be a fun project for us to pursue as a community (and for me to pursue as a resource creation) down the line. Great idea, Eric.
There are no text mode manuals, no text mode debuggers, no data dictionary to know what anything is.
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 5
I learned my text mode the hard way. Huge shoutout to assistance from *Doug Dan Hoed, Jason Webre and Alina Wilson* But some helpful resources are available: Advanced Reporting Class and Manual - When I first found the manual and some of the lists of operators, variables, etc in its pages I printed it out and kept it on my desk as a reference. API Explorer: https://developers.workfront.com/api-docs/api-explorer/ This is the data dictionary (of course I'd love a printed one with more descriptions). A bit hard to navigate but has given me some big clues. AtAppStore Snapshot and Snapshot Explorer - This exports a large chunk of your company's data cube to an access database. Seeing the cube of our data really helped me understand what was possible. It's also a great way to prototype the report you want in a more flexible environment. Then you know what you are really trying to do in Workfront. Ask questions! I hope I'm not the only huge reporting geek on here, and we can help each other find new tricks. Melinda

Level 10
Hi: That might be a list of tables and attributes, but it is not a complete data dictionary. It is missing (most critically) the business semantics of the attribute. We have to guess at the meaning of all of those attributes. It also does not tell us the foreign key references. I’ve found their data dictionary to be of marginal value. I had hoped for better. I’ve spoken to techies there and they say all of that information I seek is tribal knowledge - not documented anywhere. Argh! Eric

Level 5
You are completely right, I should say that's as close as we have to a data dictionary. There is a lot of tribal knowledge of the inner workings of Workfront and I hope this forum is the first step in capturing some of it. (And NOT the last) Melinda Layten mlayten@gmail.com Independent Workfront Consultant