Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do we turn on notifications for Comments?

Level 1
I've looked all over and can't seem to find it, it's not in the notification section. When a project is created and someone posts a comment, I want the project manager and sponsor to get an email notification but it doesn't seem to be going out. Any ideas?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 4
Hi Damon, Are your project manager and sponsor being tagged in the update? If not, then they won't get an email notification. To receive those, once you're tagged, you have to have the correct notifications turned on depending on how you work: Someone includes my team on a directed update, Someone includes me on a directed update, Work Item Comment to Thread Participants, etc. Also, in the Project Notifications section of Setup, there are choices for notifications going to a team member when a project status changes either to Active or to other statuses but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. Thanks, Michelle

Level 10
Hi: This help article has a great table that tells you who gets notified for each type of notification: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217202727-Configuring-Email-Notifications You can always add more people on the notification, which you may have to do if that person is not going to receive the notification by default (see the table in the help article). Hope this helps! Eric

Level 10
So to confirm the above responses - there is no way for someone on the project team to automatically opt-in for the in-app alerts when someone posts something in the project>updates area, correct? You must tag the folks you want to see the update whenever they are made at the project level?

Level 10
ummmm, yeah. I read it the same way.

Level 7
We created a report for our PMs that wanted it that shows all comments to projects they own. It's automatically emailed 6am daily for comments made yesterday. BTW, I understand that Workfront is working on a feature that allows someone to "follow" an Issue, so as comments are made to the issue, you'd be updated.

Level 6
Hi Greg, I was asked for the same report yesterday. I added a column called 'Note Text' which pulls the updates nicely, along with the Project and Task name, Entry date and Owner:Name - not 100% sure that's the owner of the update entry? Where I'm struggling is to group the updates together where there's responses, i.e. group the conversations. Is that possible? I currently have it grouped by project then task name. I tried sorting it by entry date but that doesn't work to keep conversations together. Hoping you have a magic solution Greg, thanks :)

Level 7
Laura, Yes, the "Owner" is the person who did the comment update. I don't "group" the report, but I do sort it. The sorting is done by Project first, then by the Issue, Task, or Document Name, and then by Entry date, so this, in essence, puts the conversation for one object together.

Level 5
Hi Laura, Any chance you could share that report here? I'm curious to see what it looks like- it sounds like a report our PM's would like. We haven't implemented yet- so I'm not getting requests for reports yet! tks Karen

Level 7

Here's mine (attached). It shows the report results and the Filter used. I'll paste the text mode for the column for the object name here:

column.4.displayname=Issue, Task, or Document Name column.4.linkedname=opTask column.4.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.4.namekeyargkey.0=opTask column.4.namekeyargkey.1=name column.4.querysort=opTask:name column.4.sharecol=true column.4.sortOrder=2 column.4.sortType=desc column.4.textmode=true column.4.valuefield=opTask:name column.4.valueformat=HTML column.4.width=120 column.5.displayname= column.5.linkedname=task column.5.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.5.namekeyargkey.0=task column.5.namekeyargkey.1=name column.5.querysort=task:name column.5.sharecol=true column.5.textmode=true column.5.valuefield=task:name column.5.valueformat=HTML column.5.width=0 column.6.displayname= column.6.linkedname=document column.6.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.6.namekeyargkey.0=document column.6.namekeyargkey.1=name column.6.querysort=document:name column.6.textmode=true column.6.valuefield=document:name column.6.valueformat=HTML0690z000007ZkU9AAK.png

Level 10
Thank you for your post, Greg! You inspired me and I created a similar report for our PMs. We did a prompt based on Entry Date so that they could pick the date range they'd like and we also grouped the notes by Project so they could easily collapse the groupings to focus on certain projects if they'd like. We also did the ObjCode column a little different. First OPTASK was driving us nuts and Project was just blank. So I used the below for that column: displayname=Object Type linkedname=direct namekey=noteObjCode querysort=noteObjCode textmode=true valueexpression=IF({noteObjCode}="OPTASK","ISSUE",IF(ISBLANK({noteObjCode}),"PROJECT",IF({noteObjCode}="DOCU","DOCUMENT",{noteObjCode}))) valueformat=HTML

Level 10
Anthony, that is an excellent derivative work on Greg's initial concept. Thank you both for sharing! Regards, Doug