Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!

Is there a best practice process on how requesters can re-use previously submitted requests as a starting point for a new request?

Level 1
Is there a best practice process on how requesters can re-use previously submitted requests as a starting point, edit the few things that need to be updated and submit it as a new request? Our form is lengthier and this can be a time saver for those who frequently request work. We currently say no to copying a previous request/issue, as the copied request/issue will appear in our traffic queue immediately and may be handled before the edits are made. Thoughts?
4 Replies

Level 10
I’m not sure how you can reuse anything already in the system without copying it. You are right, it can be tricky. When you copy an issue/request, the new version has the same status as the old. What we do is change the status of the original, copy it, and then return the original issue/request to the correct status. That keeps a bunch of emails from going out. There is no concept of a Request Template. Copying seems like the most viable solution, if you can work the issues associated with that. Sorry, no easy answer here… Eric

Level 10
CJ, I am very interested in this topic. We're designing an AtApp that will make it easy for folks to submit one request, then "Repeat" (which is a button) the request which would prime a new request with exactly the same information, allowing them to quickly edit only what's changed, and THEN submit. The subtle advantage here is that when that submit fires, it has all the RIGHT information in it, vs a copy, which would have the OLD information in it (e.g. if email alerts fire off). The business case we're trying to solve with this approach is the idea of a multi-line purchase order, where much of the "header" information is the same (Company, Contact, Shipping Address, etc.), but there is a bit of "unique" data as well (Part Number, Quantity, Price, etc.). Preserving the former and only having to overwrite the latter will save our users time and improve accuracy. How well does what I'm describing match your need? Regards, Doug

Level 1
Eric, thanks for explaining your approach. It confirms my thoughts on this. Personally, I lean towards opening the original request in a separate window/tab as reference to complete a new request in another window/tab. Also, not sure what the impact would be if we made changes to the custom form between the original and re-use of a request.

Level 1
If the Repeat takes of copy of all the previous request and uses it as draft copy pre-populating our custom request form (instead of copy of the request/issue that automatically appears in the project queue and our dashboards), then that sounds about right.