Expand my Community achievements bar.

Hi, i'm curious to know if anyone has any experience with integrating Smartsheet and Workfront?

Level 2

We have a team who are reluctant to leave Smartsheet as they feel it is a lot easier to plan & resource projects in Smartsheet... has anyone integrated the two? - thanks.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 8

https://www.smartsheet.com/s/workfront-dimensions

From my experience, Smartsheet and Workfront are not friends. I'm in the same boat and would also appreciate an answer to this question.

Level 1

I'd also like to hear how others have achieved this. I'm a new admin (new to WF as a tool at the same time as new to being an admin) and have had to migrate several teams from SS to WF, while I learn the tool myself. Exporting projects and creating Kickstarts has only been minimally helpful. Since I see SS as a glorified spreadsheet, it seems almost like comparing apples to oranges. Our biggest challenges have been migrating projects, managing license types/cost (access and sharing can be frustrating), and training on a much more complex and sophisticated tool. The rigidity that was mentioned in Samantha's article link can be seen as a good thing, as many of my SS projects don't provide clean and consistent data because users can create too many fields and overwrite items. I'd say 80% of our users could be proficient with a mediocre tool (SS) within a few months, but becoming proficient with WF takes much more training from me, more time and investment from users, but yields a better result. Sorry, I don't have good answers, but I do share in your frustration. I will say this, the few users we have as holdouts to converting to WF are standing with SS because they have certifications that they value. Maybe if there were more levels of certification (Worker, Planner) and training that could be offered, loyalty and adoption might be better fostered.

Level 5

Workfront and Smartsheet have some kind of standstill agreement. SS does not want WF to develop a fusion connector / module because they seem to feel WF is a competitor. For whatever reason, WF has agreed not to help customers connect to Smartsheet. You might get some support, but not extensive.

I've been trying to do this as well. I've played with the SS API and figured out how to create a scenario in Fusion 2.0 that monitors for a new task in WF and creates a row in Smartsheet. I've had a lot harder time getting anywhere go in the opposite direction with the API where a webhook would report changes to WF to which it would respond and bring in the SS data.

There are workarounds, like using Zapier or Appypieconnect to bridge a Smartsheet into a middleman like G-Sheets, from which Workfront can easily create records. I should note, in fairness, Workfront must have some similar concerns about competition because the workarounds I saw don't connect to WF natively, you need a middleman.

I haven't explored the "watch Workfront for updated records" (nor the same in SS) or how the workarounds do that with Smartsheet, so that changes can be reflected in both in an automated way. I suspect they handle it in a fairly straightforward way, since the connection I set up was pretty quick and easy.

Anyone with API knowledge out there want to work on the webhook with me, let me know.